Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Wings are generally two double strips of brown mallard, not extending much above the length of the body, and set to permit the natural curve of the feather. The two wings are set quite apart, and are put on separately. Browns description of what a wing on a spey fly should be... please dont take this as me cramming this down your throat or me saying this is how you should do it, its for me and anyone else who cares

I think I was able to kinda get it (how how i usually doit). Unfortunately the rest of the fly didnt come out as i wanted, what makes this really any different than a dee that uses double mallard instead of turkey?

·
Ded Heron
150 Posts
That's them........you don't often see them done this way, but i really like this stlye and they look juicy in the water to boot. I tied them like this for years as that was the first description that i ever came across and my interpretation was exactly what you have shown. Later on, a fella showed me how he did it, but with a small twist; he put one figure eight of thread in between the slips to keep them slightly seperated on the swing. Tried that a couple of times, but it did nothing for me so i disregarded thst extra step, but food for thought i guess. All your exploration into the spey fray has reminded me of my own journey some moons ago. Thanks.

Beauty work!

Dustin

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

It would seem that if they stayed apart the fly may actually allow more water to move through the fly and it might ride a bit flatter in the swing? Sometimes I notice when a fly has a tight tented wing it almost makes it catch water and ride a bit bend and point down? Just some observations.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think my favorite part of your work is your tinsel work, it amazes more every time you post... Also that Coque, do you care to share where you found that stuff? I have some you've inspired me to pull out lately but just isn't as good! Anyways, I love the history lesson and perspective. Thank you

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my favorite part of your work is your tinsel work, it amazes more every time you post... Also that Coque, do you care to share where you found that stuff? I have some you've inspired me to pull out lately but just isn't as good! Anyways, I love the history lesson and perspective. Thank you
Man! Thanks!

Sure will, plumesnfeathers.com
Coque tail, 6-8 inch strung 1/2 ounce or loose 25 packs
Check out the natural black, half bronze and email about the natural red.
In fact, if you do email them tell em Matt sent you please. Note that you will have some sorting to do with either packing. I have come up with a good rule of thumb that I use when sorting... I'll share that if you want.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, obvious rule of thumb is you want long barbs.
The quill: look for supple, thin in both direction, (width and height if you will) that will make it plenty easier to actually wrap the stem around the body
Texture: feel soft supple barbs, these are the best
Taper: I always want a hackle that has 3" of no taper section, I look from the base to the tip since I tie these in from the usable section of the base, you'll see.

That's about it!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Thanks!

It would seem that if they stayed apart the fly may actually allow more water to move through the fly and it might ride a bit flatter in the swing? Sometimes I notice when a fly has a tight tented wing it almost makes it catch water and ride a bit bend and point down? Just some observations.
Lovely fly Matt. It's the tinsel by far, that I dig the most about these old patterns: Always so clean and classy. Clearly also the yarns you use and your application giving it a slim body and that typical spey-profile.

There was question about inherent benefits of doing it this way and there may be something to what you are laying down here: Doubled slips flared-out to the side of the fly and providing lift... compared to a tented wing.

Anyhow - It is a lovely spey Matt: Swing it in your favorite run and hold on!
Thanks for addressing that.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might be swinging in a couple weeks, finger crossed!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Outstanding!

That was my interpretation of the wings as well. You did a great job of illustrating it. Thanks.

The only downside for me though, is that after struggling with Dee wings for a bit, NOW I have to start doing with BM!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Eyecrazy:

Thanks again Matt,

-Bill

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Outstanding!

That was my interpretation of the wings as well. You did a great job of illustrating it. Thanks.

The only downside for me though, is that after struggling with Dee wings for a bit, NOW I have to start doing with BM!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Eyecrazy:

Thanks again Matt,

-Bill
No dude, you just do you, I don't want to make anyone do anything they don't want to do... :hihi: LoL.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A quick update to the post, additional shots of "wings set quite apart"

Attachments

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Just placed an order for some feathers, they are quick about getting stuff out and very nice!

Thanks for the info!!!:)

KC

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
I went with two of each sizes and colors, wanted a base to go from and when they come in I will make some notes on which ones I like best. I will take some pics of all of them together so everyone can see the difference. I think I got mostly black and ginger.

Should get the order today results soon, can't wait love the look of this stuff,

KC

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope they send you the right ginger stuff, last time I went through there they had 3-4 inch stuff that would work for size 3 and the larger stuff they had was actually standard saddles. I told that guy if he sends that out people will be pissed. The black is the business no matter what do you should be good there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts