Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tied this last fall but was wondering if my wing should angle lower. Looking at it in the water makes me think the wing should tip into the tail. Any thoughts?

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
f you want the wing to sit lower you need to provide a flat (same elevation) tie in point to the body surface direction behind the tie in point, having and change in elevation high to low (body to tie in point) will cause wings to point upward. very hard to hide the taper and allow the wing to set low.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
For fishing i think the wing being propped up can add to the fishiness of the fly. a stronger current will collapse that wing some, but you want that big profile.
Matts advice is of course very good, but lets say you get to your wingset on yoru fishing fly and the platform is not level. you say man, I'm not going back for that, its juts a fishing fly, so now what?
you can bend the feather itself at the tie in point. somebody, maybe fishonforever just posted an image of how to bend a stem when you tie it in.
other option is to run something along the stem of the hackle wings to add curve to them. you selected a fairly straight feather, and thats cool, but take your needle thingy and run it under those wings to add a curve to them.

Hope this helps, great fly, redheads have more fun when it comes to steelhead...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Flies catch fishermen not fish. Fly looks good the fish makes a seconds long decision to hit that this moving cross current from below and behind.

the fish has no freaking idea nor cares how the wings align with the ass end of that fly

have you fished it? did you catch anything with it?

repeat a couple of outings and move on if it doesn't catch fish

i like it and your skills far exceed mine i think you are a great tier

1 - 4 of 4 Posts