Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The WindCutter is passé, technologically outmoded and in dire need of improvement. Let’s count the ways WindCutter Interchangeable Tips Spey Lines are obsolete.

A. The WindCutter is an excellent line for learning Spey casting.
B. The WC is an excellent line for long-distance Spey casting.
C. The WC is excellent for fishing, floating line or sink tip, small river or large.
D. The WC is an excellent line for overhead casting. One converts a WC Spey line to an overhead casting line by removing tip2 and casting with the body and tip1. Rio could sell more lines by making the WC less versatile. Less versatility for more sales certainly is a more modern marketing package than the present WC system.
E. The WC system includes only a body section, two tip2 sections, five tip1 sections and a storage wallet.
F. The five tip-1 sections provide performance from floating to intermediate, type 3, type 6 and type 8 sink. Too many choices.
G. The sink tips are density compensated. Ho hum.
H. The type 8 tip is certainly obsolete, it being more than a year since its introduction.
I. The two tip2 sections include the standard floater and an obsolete Compensator. The Compensator’s old age is the reason the line is colored gray—so fishermen won’t forget what a technically obsolete concept it is. This outdated tip2 allows a fisherman to fish a type 3, 6 or 8 at greater depths than with the floating tip2. It is the same concept as a dual front sprocket on a derailleur equipped bicycle. Or a high/low range selector in a truck or 4-wheel drive rig. Yeah, it’s old stuff.
J. The WC three-part system allows one to cast 300, 400, 500 grain “Big Boy” 24-foot sink tips by replacing tip2 and tip1 with the 24-foot tip. It makes one wonder why the obsolete WindCutters are capable of this. Again the outmoded concepts of solid engineering, field testing and doing it right the first time intrude.
K. In 2003 the WC head to running line joint was identified by a color change. Having an easily identified location in the line to place near the tiptop for normal casting is old fashioned.
L. Those that do not prefer the WC design concept of relatively heavier body with relatively lighter tip can turn the tip1 backward and have it the other way.
M. If you want a Skagit line [short head] eliminate tip2. Whoops, too versatile, there should be no tip2 so boxes labeled “Skagit” can be sold. Darn versatility!

Hopefully, members of this board can add to the list of reasons the WindCutter sucks.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Again...I will clarify!

All of the above reasons except for one are reasons why I love the Windcutter...it is a great line.

Maybe I should not of used the word 'passe' but I did...if you were to take the Windcutter and tweak, modify etc. it into the ultimate casting tool and combine it with the fact that it is already the ultimate fishing tool...the line would be amazing.

Plus!...I am just curious as to see what Simon and the others at Rio could come up with if they were to play around with the design of the Windcutter to create a slightly differant casting line while maintaing the excellent fishability the line provides.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Ryan -

It was clear to me from reading your post that you were using simple literary rhetoric for impact. Why just looking at the energetic responses I'd have to say you've succeeded!

I know you credit the Windcutter where due and I agree that the evolution of spey lines is moving at a breakneck speed. Where the Windcutter once stood effectively alone in the field, it is now accompanied by a broadening selection.

So even though the line itself may not be obsolete by any means, it's standing as the one line many reached for first has become less easy of a decision since the introduction of many new lines in it's length / grain class.

I agree with others that for a one-stop solution you can not beat the WC with tips option. I love to tinker with making my own sinktip lines as well when time and resource allows.

In conversations with Simon about a new flats line, I found Rio to be very responsive the these kinds of requests when the same requests come from many avid flyfishers - and hope to see samples of the new design any day now.

Again I wouldn't bet that Rio will sit on their laurels on this, not for a minute.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Thanks Juro. I am glad to see someone understands the method to my madness.

BTW-I want to hear about this new flats line. Hmmmmm....wouldn't it be cool if a manufacturer actually developed a line around two-handers for the Salt? Could they call it the Rio Atlantis or would that be infringing on a trademark?? :hehe: Plus...someone (preferably Rio...:hint hint hint: ) needs to develop a wicked floating shooting head for tropical condtions for all of us that have decided Stripers just dont test the Atlantis enough! :devil: :razz: ;)

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hehe - well I wish we had 60+ pound trevally in our neck of the woods too! Good thing we don't have razor sharp coral reefs though :devil:

I am still fixated on the roosterfish from the beach... man what a fish! If fishkind had a superhero that would be it - with the fanciful features that put any aquarium prize to shame but every bit of the balls of any gamefish that swims, and a beach-dweller to boot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts