Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this spey fishing sport and have read many posts debating which line to learn casting with: Windcutter or longer belly line such as the Midspey. If I learn on the Windcutter and then add the upgrade, will I essentially have a Midspey-equivalent? Has anyone much experience with this setup? It makes logical sense to me, but then what do I know?

I received for Christmas a CND expert 13' 8/9 rod (love my wife!) and expect to use it mainly on the Clearwater, Deschutes, and Grand Ronde. Appreciate any input on this and I really appreciate the sharing of ideas!

Thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Windcutter upgrade works really well and gives you options at a 54' head (if you are in tight spots) and a 69' head for the rest. It adds a bit of weight but casts great on all the rods I have tried it on. Very versatile system and only requires one reel/spool.

Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
322 Posts
I bought the wind cutter with tips for the versitility, added the upgrade and fatboy 3 and 6 hundred sinking tips. This combination gives you line lenghts from 48 feet all the way out to 84 feet if you want to loop all of the floating pieces together. Most of the time I use the upgrade and change the sinktip to suit water conditions, this Steelhead season I have used this line and have not encountereed any hinging or trouble getting the line through the guides while landing fish. I do recommend that you follow Simons recommendation for line size by going to the A line especially if you intend to use the upgrade.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi flyflailer

The upgrade was designed specifically for what you are talking about - namely lengthening the WindCutter into a slightly longer version than the MidSpey. It actually ends up as 69' instead of 65'. It is also going to be a little heavier than the equivalent MidSpey, but will still work very well.

As long as you get the same size upgrade as the WindCutter you have, things should work fine.

Best
Simon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. To my frugal way of thinking, it seems like it will give me 2 styles of line for not much more than the price of one.

ff

·
Registered
503 Posts
Upgrade

I have tried the upgrade on my 1308 custom and it likes to have about 4 to 6 ft of the head inside the guides to cast. With the full head out it is more work to cast and the timing seems more critical.
This is with the 7/8/9
Skilly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts