Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still kind of green with all this......so I've got the Windcutter Interchangable Tip 8/9/10 line.....I wanna say that...

-The yellow 15 ft section that came attached to the head strait from the package is the floating Tip 2 compensator, it's got a welded loop on each end.

-The gray 15 ft section with the two welded loops is the intermediate Tip 2 compensator. I came in the wallet.

-The yellow 15 ft section that came attached to end of the floating yellow tip 2 is a the floating tip.

-the 15 ft clear sigle looped section is the intermediate tip (1.5 -2 ips)

-the yellow (type 3), gray (6), and green (8)tips are also there and are obviouly dark in color.....and well color coded

Now my questions....

1. Am I correct with my assumptions above?
2. I'm scared to ask this one as it seems so stupid...... but.....Do I need to tie bits of like 30lb mono to the ends of each of the tips using a nail knot to the tip and a loop for easy leader connection on the other?? Should I use braided loops? How do you guys fasten your mono leader to each tip section?? I guess I kinda wish they all had a welded loop on their ends....wouldn't that be easy? ........a nice loop to loop connection from the tip to the leader and tippet....

Thanks already.......Sped

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Here's a diagram of the WC multi-tip and how the floating sections connect:

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=23

You can leave tip 2 attached and then attach the sink tips directly to it or replace tip 2 with the compensator and attach the sink tips to that. The compensator is designed to fish your tips deeper. I feel that the WC casts tips better with the compensator on.

You can nail knot some stiff mono to the end of each sink tip to create a mono butt and make a loop in the end of the butt section to which you can attach lengths of tippet material. How long and what type of mono always manages to become a good debate.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Welded loops...

You can weld your own loops onto the business end of each of you tips in the following manner:

Equipment:
1. Scissors
2. Main line/tip to have welded loop
3. 4-6" section of the tip (or body) of another similar line (different colour may help)
4. 3.5 - 4mm diameter of 2:1 clear heatshrink tube
5. Cigarette lighter

Technique (see pics in my gallery - welded loop 1-6):
1. Cut a short section of the heatshrink tube sufficient to overlap the section to be welded
2. Place the end of the tip and the loop to be welded on as shown
3. Heat the heatshrink gently, massaging the line within to encourage the welding. Repeat this over the whole length to be welded, but don't put the flame anywhere near the line unless it is covered with the heatshrink.
4. Remove the heatshrink coating.
5. Hey presto, one welded loop.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
First

I am not sure all brands of line take to the home made welded loop. PVC and polyurathane are different.

Second, do not simply nail knot to a sinking tip as eventually you will strip the coating off the tip with a hard pull and possibly loose a nice fish. Instead use an Albright knot to attach the leader but, or a modified nail knot ( see Krey's book on knots), use a braided loop, or build a loop in the end of the line. The last two give better turn over of leaders than a simple nail knot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Windcutter tips

I just fold back about 1.5 inches of the tip and place three nail knots on it to form a loop, trim the tag end and then cover the knots with pliobond. I snag logs a lot and when I pull off I break the leader.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.