Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I have two Windcutter line questions & one rod qusetion.

Qusetion #1: I have a Gloomis Metolius 13'4" rod (thanks speyforsteel:hihi: ) with a Windcutter 5/6 line. I want to put a 10' max type III or IV tip on the line & was wonder how much to cut back?

Question #2: I also have a Sage 6126-3 Brown (thanks i-spey:hihi: ) on the way. As per Rio specs I have loaded it with a 7/8/9 Windcutter. I will be using the same tips mentioned above. How much should I cut this line back?

One for the wife...that's what I tell her.:saevilw: Actually that is the third question. She wants to try spey casting:rolleyes: ...which rod would be easier for her to learn to cast on?

Thanks in advance.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
My 5/6 WC is chopped and looped @ 16'4" from the tip. That tip piece weighs 108grns. I have used with good success a 12' type 3 tip that weighed 95grns. I have never tried anything faster or heavier as yet. For your 7/8/9 I would chop it @ 15'.

Not knowing your wife it is hard to answer your last question. I would set them both up and let her wave them around a little. I'd bet one of them will appeal to her more then the other and that is the one I would let her use.
A happy spey casting wife is a treasured asset.:smokin:

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
line cutting

I like to use my trusty dope scale:saevilw:, first I wipe off any residue on the scale then I cut a section of line off about the length of the tip then buy a tip about 10% less in weight than the cut section.before you cut you might try a sinking poly leader as they often cast nicely and get the desired effect:saeek: you are craving::Eyecrazy:
By the way the package has arrived ,Thanks. Pm me after you cast it.
Don't worry people I've been in treatment for a long time-I think-
Jeez I should call my sponsor.

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Package arrival

Glad it got there. Rod looks great Speyforsteel. Got the line loaded onto my Loop 6nine & I'm ready to roll.
Thanks for the info MJC & Speyforsteel.
Can't wait to wet a line.:D

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I agree on the poly sinking leaders. They also work well on the lighter setups.

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poly sinking leaders

Thanks for the info guys.
For the Loomis Metolius, I'll use the poly leaders.
From a previous rod thread I started, I remember Grampa Spey stated that the Sage 6126 can handle tips well...so I guess I'll use tips on that rod.
Cheers:)

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
residue?

Residue? what residue? Are you a cop? That,s not mine officer I swear.:confused:and my buddy's wonder why I have such a hard time at canada immigration.
here's a buddy of mine with some fine B.C residue ,the famous Thompson henskie bud ,very powerful stuff and very spendy

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts