Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using an 8/9/10 WC for my 13' St. Croix and a 9/10/11 WC for my 14' St. Croix. Both lines work very well for their respective rods. I'm looking for a multi tip WC and had a couple questions. I normally throw the sink tips on the 14 footer. Would the 8/9/10 be a better option with the tips or a 9/10/11? I wasn't sure if the weight of the tips would make any difference or not. I thought that if the opinion was that an 8/9/10 would be better this line could serve "double duty " on both rods. What do you guys think. I look forward to your comments.

Thanks all.

Barry

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
WindCutter

Barry,

I use a WindCutter 8/9/10 on my 14' St. Croix with tips and it works fine. I also cast a number 6 sink tip with the Upgrade in place. I like the 8/9/10 on the 14'.

Rich

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the St Croix 13' 7/8 which wind cutter sink tip line do you recommend ?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Pmflyfisher,

It depends on if you like to fell a lot of rod load or like to simply feel the rod flex with the cast. In other words, do you like a faster rod or slower rod that bends deep into the blank. I have my 15 year old son set up with a 6/7/8 Windcutter on his St. Crooix and he just started to use a 2-hander this summer. He had no trouble learning a double spey, a snap-T, and a single spey with this setup.

If you like a slower rod that bends deeper into the blank, use the 7/8/9. The 8/9/10 overloads the rod badly, eventhough there are those who use it on this rod.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Windcutter/St. Croix Experience

Barry & PM -

The 14' St. Croix works great with the Windcutter 9/10/11 and tips. It will handle a full 300 grain bigboy when the need arises - remove the WC mid section and tip. I had an 8/9/10 at first but later bought the 9/10/11 which I now prefer. To me it feels like the heavier line propels sinktips better. This is a wonderful casting rod with a Windcutter. I don't understand why it's not more popular.

The 13' St. Croix works well with the Windcutter 7/8/9. Don't expect the rod to handle anything heavier than the Rio supplied 15' sinktips - I've tried but it's just too soft. Also, at 13' it has less length to pull the tips up out of the water which doesn't help matters, especially if you're deep wading. The 15' tips don't fish deep enough for me but they might be fine for your situation. I like this rod too.

Happy casting.

West Mich

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks for the input guys it helps. I think the 9/10/11 is the way to go on this rod now using a WF SA 9/10 weight sink tip with deep water express sink tips I made up. Seems to be handle them.

Now do I get the Wind cutter or the new Rio Grand Spey line with tips ?

Hal

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info

Looks like I'll be in the market for a 9/10/11. I was thinking of making my own tips but I don't think it will be worth the hassle.

Barry

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
mjyp,

You might want to look around for one of the older 13 ft 9/10 Powell 2-handers, or one of the blanks for it and wrap it up into the finished rod. They have'nt been made for about 4 or 5 years, but they will allow you to fish a 9 or 10 weight tip. Be forwarned, it is a powerful rod, but it is fairly slow.

I also cast a Scottish rod (Simon maybe you could help with the make 'cause I can't remember the name - it wasn't Daiwa) about 4 years ago at the Seattle Sportsmans Show that was a fairly powerful 13 ft 9/10. This rod was only available directly from the manufacturer in Scottland. It was a powerful moderate action 2-hander.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi Flytyer et al

The only other big rod company that I know of that makes Spey rods in Scotland is Sharpes of Aberdeen. They have a pretty nice range of rods, slightly faster than middle action and plenty of power.

You can email Don MacKenzie there at [email protected] for further information and a web site.

Was that who you are thinking about?

Simon

·
Registered
110 Posts
Windcutter 8/9/10 versus mid spey 8/9

I need some help in the definition of the Windcutter versus the Mid Spey, both with tips. Is it in the 11' of additonal length of head measurement of is there something else thats missing. Im just starting out and are considering the 14' St. Croix with an 8/9/10 Windcutter or the Mid-Spey 8/9. Confused?? What would you recommend for a good first time setup? SHould I step up to the 9/10/11????

Paul
:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go with the 9/10/11

I have both the 13' and 14' St. Croix rods. I love them both. IMOH the 9/10/11 windcutter is the perfect line for the 14 footer. In fact I just purchased a 9/10/11 windcutter multi-tip (due to advice from my original post on this thread). This rod handles tips very well. I have also used a 10/11 Mastery series spey / salmon taper on this rod with good results.

As for the 13 footer, That is my favorite rod. It took a little time to get a feel for the rod while using tips, but now I can throw them on this rod without a problem. But I still prefer using a dry line with it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks for the input just can't see using the 14 foot 9/10 weight St Croix for great lakes steelhead. The 13 foot 7/8 weight seems almost to heavy for me to date. Looks like the wind cutter 8/9/10 is the way to go for the 13 footer with tips. Thats where I am heading right now, the current line I have is shot.

Hal

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
WindCutter Ideas

Paul,

If you want to try the 14' St. Croix with the 8/9/10 WindCutter just let me know. I will be glad to meet you and you can try mine. I have the 8/9/10 WindCutter and the Upgrade so you can try them both. My son has the 9/10/11 on his Cabella's which is the same blank and it casts very well.

I will be at the Nov. 30 clave at Carnation and you can try the rod and lins there. Probably there will be a few Mid Spey lines there that you can try also.

Rich

·
Registered
459 Posts
MJYP,

I tried an 8 weight double taper on it that did not work very well at all , needs a little heavier than that, at least 8/9 weight, and as far as the master caster goes, well I guess after 43 years of doing it I must be doing something right, I can get it out pretty far, although I don't consider myself a master by any means.

Besides we do not have to get it out very far unless we are fishing the michigan surf. Thats where I really need to extend my casting with shooting heads etc.. Another winter project for me.

Now you are recommending the Mid Spey instead of the Wind cutter for the 13 ' 7/8 St. Croix, before lunch I thought it was the Wind cutter.

Gotta love this spey world. :confused:

Hal

P.S. I want one of you guys with me when I tell my wife I dropped a $ 100+ on the wrong spey line.:chuckle:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Simon,

Sorry about the delay in responding to your post regarding the Sharpes of Aberdeen, they are indeed the rods I was thinking of. Like you said, they have a faster than medium action with a lot of power but they are not a fast rod in any sense. Thanks for helping my menory.

Pmflyfisher,

I bought my 15 year old the 13 ft St.Croix for his 15th birthday in May. I got him the 7/8/9 Windcutter for it because he has been using a 9 ft Loomis 6 weight and a 9 ft Loomis 8 weight I gave him since I wasn't using them anymore. And they are fast rods, which he has been using for 6 years. I personally prefer the 7/8 MidSpey on this rod but keep in mind that I prefer and fish the longer belly lines. The 8/9/10 windcutter will work fine on this rod if you like a slower rod. It overloads it for me though because I'm a fairly aggressive caster.

Derek has had no problems at all learning how to spey cast with this rod and the 7/8/9 Windcutter. It was a very easy transition for him to go from single-handed rod spey casting to the 2-hander.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks Rich

Appreciate the offer....look forward to seeing you on the 30th and talking to you more about my options.

Paul :hehe:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I prefer a slower action rod. This is one of the reasons I like the St. Croix 13 footer so much. It's also why I like the 8/9/10 line. Heck I even used a 9/10/11 on it last year with no trouble. I like long belly lines, but the Great Lakes tribs that I fish don't require long casts. The W/C works great. Often enough I am only shooting a short amount of line (15 feet +/-). So Hal if you have already purchased an 8/9/10 W/C, do not worry. It will work very well.

Barry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts