Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Windcutter floating 9/10/11 on a 14' 9/10 that I use with 10' airflo polyleaders. Do I need to cut off some of the tip to use with sinking leaders or am I good just attaching the leader directly to the end of the floating line? Thanks for any advice! Also, would not cutting some of the tip off make it more difficult to form good loops on the forward cast? I am a new speycaster and it seems like on the forward cast, the belly of the line is touching down on the water before the loop has straightened itself out. Or maybe it is just poor technique on my part? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
TM, I use the poly leaders all the time ..

and find they work well straight off the tip of almost any weight forward line. What I recommend you do though, is run a 3 foot shot of 30# Maxima main line off the tip and then loop/tie the sinking leader off to this. (This is how I run them)

The shot of leader allows the sinking leader to sink, and the floater stay on top. Sounds a bit ' Rube Goldberg' and would ' hinge like heck' but actally casts very well.
fae

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Aim High with abrupt stop

and you will find the tip straightening out before the belly hits the water. The faster sinking polyleaders are not as nice as the intermediates for presentation, as they take more work to open up well (more grains per foot than the floating section they replace). Cutting back some could help in this situation. For a standard tip with a WC or Midspey, you usually cut back 15' and attach the tip of appropriate weight.

Fred- I am going to have to give your Rube Goldberg setup a fling. I don't see how it can help but hinge, but I believe you. This makes any loops look very tight and unhinging.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Long delta and polyleader

Peter - the long delta has a longer front taper than the delta. In my experience, the long delta lacks a little for the fastest sinking polyleaders. This is just another way of saying that i should probably cut it back some, if I am going to continue to use the fast sink polyleaders a lot.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Roger on cutting back the long Delta..

"Fred- I am going to have to give your Rube Goldberg setup a fling. I don't see how it can help but hinge, but I believe you. This makes any loops look very tight and unhinging."

A long thin taper tip will cause some problems turning over/laying out the sinking leaders. Whis is why I've never tryed them with a lind like the XLT. The GrandSpey blows these things 'out of sight!'

Forgot to add: another way that works well is to buy a DT line one over the rod rating and cut off the forward taper and attach the shot of leader to this. You can easily do this with a regular length (90') DT and save money.
fae

1 - 5 of 5 Posts