Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m planning a trip to Norway this summer and although I´m fishing in August, which generally means low and clear rivers, there´s always the risk (or possibility) of tremendous spates.

To really get down through a fast current using the interchangeable Windcutter, there are two possibilities, as I understand it: either you get the sink tip compensator and stick with the included tips or you connect a Big Boy sink tip directly to the head. I guess I´ll be more happy fishing the Big Boy combination, since I like to use shorter heads when it comes to fishing really deep.

Is there anybody out there with experience of using the Big Boys with the Windcutter? How heavy can you go until it gets really hairy to cast?

I´ll be using my B&W Kola 15,3 with the 10/11 top and the 10-12 Windcutter.

This may have been discussed before on the forum but I´m fairly new to Speyclave, so bear with me! :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
WC LINES

With this setup you should have no problem with the heaviest BIG BOY tips available. If you have the multi tip WC I would recommend removing tip two and then attaching the big boy sink tip right there. This will decrease your overall head length by just a touch but will make casting much easier and more enjoyable.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
FT's got it covered pretty well .. 'but...'

"Is there anybody out there with experience of using the Big Boys with the Windcutter? How heavy can you go until it gets really hairy to cast?"

I use this set up for spring king fishing here on the Rogue. Just one thing I'd advise as you're looking at 'big boys' is to use the WC 11-12-13 to get more 'omph' behind the 400 grains.

The 11-12-13 will absolutely flip out the 300 grain bb, but (as with the 400) timing (SLOW DOWN!!) becomes quite important. You'll need at least a 10-11 wt rod and 15' or up. This is one time 'leverage' is really 'king.'

At the end of the day, it won't take more than one double single malt to put you to sleep ... you're pooped!!
:whoa:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I was thinking about the 300 grain head. That would result in a total head weight slightly lower than the full Windcutter, which in this case is good, since I feel that shorter and more weight concentrated heads are more tiring to lift and cast.

And yes, I realize that just sniffing the cork of the malt bottle will send you to sleep after a full days hauling these heavy lines! But these situations, when you need to go really deep, are thankfully pretty rare... :chuckle: Summer fishing in Norway means fishing something like 20 hrs a day, thanks to the midnight sun. I might just swap the odd dram for some Gatorade ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I found that the Big Boy heads are very effective in heavy flows. With a powerful 15'er the 300 launches with ease (as long as you remove both floating tips of the WC). You can easily fish it all day everyday without a problem and really cut through some heavy water. The 400 was a bit heavy for my rod and wore me out a bit but the 300 was actually FUN to cast and I am looking for an excuse to fish it agian.

Please give us a report after your Norway trip.

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Norway

Will do, Greg!

I´m actually lucky enough to be fishing the Rogsta gaard beat at River Gaula this summer, which is one of the beats that the great British salmon pioneers raved about in the olden days. And the best part is that our deal is a real bargain! :D

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
I have played around with the various big boys and windcutter combinations to get the maximum that each windcutter will carry effectively. This is the guideline we recommend as the absolute maximum that the line will support - however, it does depend on how powerful the rod is. Also, I would sensibly step down one big boy size than the maximums listed here:

7/8/9 - 300 grain
8/9/10 - 400 grain
9/10/11 - 500 grain
10/11/12 - 600 grain

These work and I have used these combinations on a fast action and powerful rod, but as I say, one Big Boy lighter would be best.

Tight lines
Simon

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Simon! I´ve got it all sorted out now. But I´ll get the compensator too anyway, to use with the WC tips. Hope that the Scandinavian dealer carries the Big Boys and the compensator.
(Please ignore my inquiry to your Rio mail address.)

/Fredrik Persson

·
Registered
51 Posts
heaviest Big Boy

I´m also interested in a WC with Big Boy Tip´s for a salmon fishing trip. I want to fish it on my old Sage 9126, 3-piece, and possibly on a Meiser switch rod #9/10 I´ve just ordered.
The WC 9/10/11 should be right for the Sage, but I wonder what will be the heaviest big boy for this combination - the 300 or the 400 grains head. Does anybody know what the weight of the body of the WC 9/10/11 is to get an idea if it is realistic to cast a 400 grain Big Boy with the Sage rod with ease?
What is to expect with the Meiser? Should I go to the 8/9/10 with a 300 grain Big Boy?
Stefan

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
WC 9/10/11

minus tip 1 and tip two whould weigh between 310 and 350 grains (RIO data). Adding a big boy would bring that to a little over 600 grains with the 300 grain BB and a little over 700 for the 400 grain BB. I couldn't find the Sage 9126 listed on the RIO recommendations. You could shorten the 400 grain a little to bring them closer together.

What weight does your rod like with a floating line? If it is the 9/10/11, you might be happer with the lighter BB.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Peter, you are right - just body and BB.

Strange thing about the rod actions. It does make a big difference. I am just trying to state which WindCutter will turnover which Big Boy - the rod does need enough guts to carry that kind of weight. Some rods can surprise you. Lat year I was teaching a class for Kienes in Sacramento and I got all my students into casting heavy heads. I put on the 400 grain BB on the 9/10/11 WindCutter body and loaded it onto a Sage 9141. No problem, as you would expect. It was only when I came ashore that I found the 9141 lying against a tree and the 7141 missing. This combination was easily carried by the 7141 - a combination I would never have tried, never mind guessed.

I don't know the Sage 9126, so have a problem in recommending the right lines, but as t_rich says, go by the whole line weight. The 9/10/11 body weighs around 310-320 grains, so with the BB's you could be talking of a total of 610 or 710 grains, depending on the Big Boy you use. This equates to a toal head weight of around 650 grains for the WindCutter 9/10/11 in its unadulterated form!

I hope this helps.

All the best
Simon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts