Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enyone how has a William Joseph Mini-Chest Pack?

I think of buying one...

It seams perfect to store som tippet spools, a flybox and some tools for the HOT (warm) summer fishing in Mörrum & Em rivers... even a meshvest gets hot a sunny summer day!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've had one for a few years now. It's great to take on hot days, when you need to carry some flies and some tippet.

I would highly recommend. Very good construction. Excellent materials.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I own two of them, and they do the job.

Enyone how has a William Joseph Mini-Chest Pack?

I think of buying one...

It seams perfect to store som tippet spools, a flybox and some tools for the HOT (warm) summer fishing in Mörrum & Em rivers... even a meshvest gets hot a sunny summer day!
I hate most vests and so called shoulder/front vest packs when two handed casting. So these and their little brother are about all I use.

I own 2 of them. One stays loaded with flies, tippet and a place for my Rio Versi Leader Billfold for our coastal waters. It stays loaded by my Switch Rods ready to go when we decide to go the coast.

The other one stays empty and in my mediumSage shoulder/boat bag. I fish lakes that can change from one day to the next re what fish may be striking, what they might or are striking and how deep they are. The Sage bag holds my lake assortment and the empty Mini Pack. I will load it when I am able to determine what flies, sinking leaders and tippets are needed.

On really hot days, a loaded one fits into one of my small back packs with a hydration bag and an extra reel or spool. When I get to the water, the mini pack comes out of the back pack and goes in front. If I don't need a spare reel/spool, I put the minimal Camel hydration pack on my back and one of the Mini packs in front. You can fish for hours with these dual minimalist gear hauling systems.

The mini packs are comfortable compared to other fly carrying gear when casting the two handed rods. Be careful not to pull the bottom strap out all the way or you will have fun re threading it. I leave that snap in the snapped postion when it isn't on me and snap it around me when wearing it.

I don't like the upside down retractors. The maschocist :saevilw: at WJ, who determined that all of their retractors will upside down, deserves a spot in :saeek: hell for that decision.

·
sushiyummy & C&R
1,041 Posts
It actually gets hot in Sweden?

Wow, global warming has brought the heat wave to Sweden, Jacob?

I have 2 chest packs and fly lines get tangled during spey casting, much like what Dave said.

I solved my carry/ organizing by having a sling bag (like Orvis and Patagonia) as my main bag.

If I need more room, I have a Wader belt bag (like for flats fishing), and my chest pack attaches to it (ala Orvis).

No line catching problems after that.

BTW, chest packs can sometimes get hot and sweaty. Like having a hand resting on your chest all day fishing.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
fanny pack

I use a WJ fanny pack that I use while fishing my spey rod and love it. I found chest packs got in the way. The only disadvantage of a fanny is deep wading, but I'm about 6'8" so I can go in a ways before it's up above my arse.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
How about 5'8"

I use a WJ fanny pack that I use while fishing my spey rod and love it. I found chest packs got in the way. The only disadvantage of a fanny is deep wading, but I'm about 6'8" so I can go in a ways before it's up above my arse.
BOL!:hihi:

5'8" with a 28" inseam can dampen a fanny pack before one knows it.:eek:

·
Registered
212 Posts
WJ DayPack

I recently purchased a WJ Old School Day Pack. I carry bottled water (the top, or near to, reason for fatigue on stream is dehydration) having always been suspicious of eventual microbial contamination of built-in hydrating systems. Since I'm doing more "blue liner" trout fishing, carrying a couple liters of water in any vest I've worn usually results in a 'Chinese torture' condition as the day wears on from leverage the bottles create on the shoulders. The WJ DayPack completely eliminates this with a generous waist belt that levers all the back weight onto the hips. I did not purchase the chest component which frees up my chest area. The few things I need repeatedly on stream are in my wader front pocket; anything else I need or need to replenish is in the very generous back pack. A very handsome, well-constructed unit for about $ 70.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I have recently stopped using a vest and don't use any kind of pack either. What I have settled on for myself as the most practical solution for storing my flyboxes, tippet material, etc., is to simply wear a wading belt and put all my stuff in the top portion of my waders. Of course this wouldn't work if you're wet wading, but otherwise it keeps my stuff away from my loose running line and keeps stuff dry. This works great whenever I am fishing with waders on.

God Bless,
Todd

or any other

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I'm using a little sling bag that I got at Cabelas.

Carries a fly box, tippet material, leader folder or one for interchangeable tips when fishing for winter fish...and a pair of needle nose pliers....

I wish it would carry a small water bottle...but I can put that on a waste pack if I need it.

It is very light, works very well. I sling it over my right shoulder and under my left aft...then turn it too the back to get it out of the way...

I keep going to a vest...and then back to this deal. I like it...

Keith

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Got one.

But I also have a Fish Pond that I decided to use nearly all the time. I could send you the WJ, but that would probably cost more than for you to buy one in Sweden.

Sg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts