Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys and gals. Hope everyone is well on this Super Bowl Sunday. :cool:Question for the crowd: Can I make this work?

I'm really needing two kinds of expertise. One is skagit line grain weight recommendations for an Anglers Roost 5/6 wt spey. The other is a fly line chopping question.

So again, will this work with some slicing and dicing:

- ARE 5/6 wt spey rod
- SA Skagit Extreme Head - 440gr - 22ft

How would I cut that line down to fit the mentioned rod? Or am I too far apart to even try.

As context, I won the line as a part of a fly tying contest a while back and this rod is my most likely candidate for it. I didn't specifically buy the line. I just have it hanging around. And I typically only use that ARE rod for summer fishing but a skagit would be nice to have.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What length Rod is it and what is the recommended grains for that stick? I would only chop from the back end of the line and you could always contact and send it to Mr. Steve Godshall. I had him chop up a 5 wt xlt and make it in to a full greaseline for my 2 wt troutspey

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
That head is 50 to 100 grains too heavy for my liking on that very fine rod. I think there are guys who use about 400 grains for a Skagit so your head might be doable but pretty heavy.

You could definitely chop the line and it would work and you could chop from either end or both or the middle.

I think a better option might be to swap someone on the board for a lighter head.

What do you use for your summer line on this stick?

Godshall has his grain recommendations for the rod on the site on one of the ARE or Anglers Roost threads.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have a airflo compact Skagit in 390 grain 22.5' I would be willing to trade. It has only been casted 3 times, ended up being to heavy for my rod and I went with a 360.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So good...

Thanks guys. Good information here and looks like I'll need a different line. Cutting that many grains off this one would be a pretty big alteration.

Regarding what I'm fishing now on this ARE rod I honestly have no idea. When I built it up I called Steve Godshall, he asked me some questions about when and where I fish, casting preference, and said he'd ship it out the next day. I lined it up on the rod and fish it during the summers. It was that easy! I'll dig around in the garage later for the envelope he mailed it in since it had grain wt listed there.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
Let's see...

You have a line that Steve built for your rod, right? But, you are want a skagit-head in addition to the one you have, correct? Cutting 50+ grains off the back end of the line you have seems doable to me. Find the back taper and where it starts, make the cut. Cut off 1 foot of the line going forward toward the tip. Weigh it and then calculate how much more of the tip you need to remove to get the head down to the weight needed.

What you need to know is the final head weight. The only problem you may have is that you may need to cut off too much of the line to make the head long enough to cast well. If that happens, then you'd be better off trading the intact line for something that would work.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I found this on the web. It sounds correct...

Saw Steve Godshall rated the rod as a 5.2 wt, with a line recommendation for scandi heads of 286-338 and skagit heads 338-390, length between 18 and 24 feet.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I fitted mine with a 26 foot head (from level 9-weight) that weighs 324 grains, and handles tips under 100 grains. It's more of an all-purpose head than a true Skagit, a comfortable fit that loads the rod without loosening corks.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
seems like the line is running around 20 grains a foot so you could pretty easily cut 2 to 2.5 feet out of it and come up with a very functional line if the consensus is 400 grains or so for that rod. Not sure if the line has a back taper but if so you might try to cut off the taper first, cut from the back then re- attach the back taper for better flight characteristics. I cut back 625 short down to 17 feet and 500 grains that way and it works well

·
Registered
202 Posts
I use a 440 grain Skagit Extreme with Integrated tip on my ARE 13' 5/6 and it seems to be at the limit of its range with the tip. Good luck and let us know how it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts