Votes: 0 0.0%
  • only if promised cold beer if successful

Votes: 7 38.9%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not a doubt in my mind.

Even if your casting sucked by your criteria, I'm sure it's better than the vast majority, and I suspect your knowledge is second-to-none. This is a certification for teaching, not the Musto, so even if you're a bit off on test day, you'll be fine.

Don't worry, have fun.

--Bill

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
From my limited understanding ..

the 'casting part' is the least of the test. Here, you could have a reasonable 'failure rate.'

The 'real test' is being able to convey what you're doing/correcting/etc., a student .... aka the verbal exam is the 'make or break.' Here you have no 'failure rate.'

But I voted for the cold beer! The Carrot!!
:devil:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dana,
There is not a doubt in my mind that you will pass with flying colors. You have helped me without my ever having laid eyes on you. Only thing I think you have to be careful about is setting the bar so high others will have trouble measuring up. Good luck.
John

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Wow, I'm guessing our tall "friend" from Calgary will love this thread.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
look at the loop

on the Spey Pages and the casts in the video clips and tell me Dana will have trouble with the "casting" part. But then, I guess everyone else agrees as there are no votes against, only the suggestion that a beer might motivate.

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Ive been reading your work for years now and the fact that you have such a good time doing it shines through. I'm sure you'll pass enjoying the whole process.

Cheers N I

·
Registered
227 Posts
Tyler,
Just because I'm not tall, it does not mean my catsing can't suck like the rest!:devil:
But I'm sure you are refering to somone else right!:hehe:
I know Dana will pass because he was cheering for the Flames when they beat the Canucks :razz:

Best of luck to you Dana! We are all cheering for you!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I know you're joking Sean but this would be a good time to mention that Dana has been a mentor to me for years. Besides after showing up at San Francisco totally unprepared the first time it's not likely I will ever get too full of myself!

I remain a student of the art with hopes of accelerating the learning curves for others, something I've always enjoyed doing. Much of that was (and still is) inspired by Dana and his passion for analysis, teaching and skillful communication.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yeah I was joking. If Dana does not pass we need to all march on the FFF headquarters and demand justice.

-sean

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I have long thought it a formality but I know Dana has been unduly worried. I went with Fred and figured that a little cold beer motivation would help.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dana,

Gimmie a break you've forgotten more than 99.95% of us will every know regarding the technical aspects of Spey casting. I would/will give serious odds on you passing.

Can't say that a best o luck is required as you've got the skills!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I know this was 'tounge in cheek...'

flytyer said:
Like "tip, I think it is just a formality. Me thinks you are worried for naught.
But after talking to several who have take/given the test; as a group these folks aren't fooling around. I'm aware of at least one, perhaps two, 'big name(s) in the game' who 'flunked' "his/their first pass through.

(Problem, as with most, was the verbal exam.)

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Beer

Dana now you are talking.
You should have no problem.
Good luck

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Dana,

I think you will pass. I'm sorry to say but your casting doesn't suck. You have done alot of prep for your verbal test. Good luck.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.