Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the title kind of says it all. I have an Abel Super 7/8 Large Arbor reel that is literally one of my most favorite possessions. I bought it for my 9' #8. I'm ready to get into spey casting full-time and am wondering if I will need a new reel or if this one would do the trick.

Any opinions would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Super 10

I have a Super 10 with about 150 yds. of backing and it's tight with a 5/6 line. That reel will be a bit small and light, but give it a try.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Abel 7/8 is a very small reel for spey lines

Hi Pinky

If you're talking about the new Abel 7/8N I would definitely say it's too small, especially if your considering using Skagit type of line. It would also be too light IMHO.

I use a older size 8 with the wider spool and I can barely have 150 yards of spectra and a 475 grains Rio Skagit Short on for my switchrods.

I would go for one of the discontinued model (Super 10, 11 or even 12) which should give amble of room for your line and needed backing. These model are being sold on auctionsites at very fair prices at the moment.

That is if you still want an Abel reel for your rod, which I totally understand. They are great reels and sound and look great.

An alternativ could be one of Tim's reel from the Speyco company.

Tight lines

Lars

·
Registered
22 Posts
Super 8 reel

Hi,
I have used a super 8 on a big switch rod with 500 grain compact Skagit. The backing, running line, and head fit on the reel, but I can't wind a tip onto the spool. This works fine because whenever I put a tip on I am fishing, and for storage I simply have to put the tip back into the wallet. You may find the reel a bit light for the aforementioned rod though...
Willie

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
100yds of 30# Dacron with a 7/8 Delta will not fit on that reel with 15+ feet not being able to be reeled on, so in my opinion it is to small.

Maybe with Gelspun backing, a mono running line, and a scandi head you might squeeze it on there but excitement room will be in very short supply.

Also if the rod in question has an uplock reelseat the Super 7/8 will be to light for a nice balance, again in my opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all of the feedback on this. I've decided to just spring for a new reel and keep my 7/8 lined up as an indicator rig.

PS: Please don't tell my wife.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts