Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tied this sucker in hand, on a reasonably sized hook, as a mixed wing, as it should be tied.

Bit miffed about the head, it should be wool, but after wrapping everything down, i wasnt too enamored, so i didnt bother to wool it. However after varnishing, it's not too bad for size/shape etc considering i used gossamer throughout (thick stuff)

Wing was built in two stages. First one was put on, and that would have been it but it was too shallow, so i flooded the head are with cellire, and left it over night. Next bunch went on after wrapping back to about 3 wraps, and the same process followed again, cellire then leave overnight.

I trimmed the wing butts too square, so lost a bit of shape at the front of the head as i couldnt get the heavily waxed thread to grip it, even with flatter uni 6/0.

I'll probably chop this one and retie in the vise for a better finish, or at least replace the wing in the vise.

The eye is silver wire.

Input welcome....

Eunan

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
Oh but it looks so good, Eunan! That "chopping" talk is painful to my ears...I wish you were closer to anadromous swing water so at least you could fish it before recycling the hook.

Cheers,
Adrian
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top