Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Paid subscriber
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if rivers on the WI side of Lake Michigan were open/any good in the last week of March...I am familiar with Pike and Root(which can be good), but have not made it farther north to Sheboygan, Pigeon or up to Algoma...YET. I also wondered about the Oconto? I am not asking for specifics...I can get those from steelheadsite...(just joking):)

My dilemma is I am new to the doublehanders, and don't know which trib is the right place to start/learn. The Root and Pike are not very wide, (although you could cast by the mouth of the Pike) and I don't think I want to battle the Milwaukee River crowds. I would like to bring my father in law for a couple of days and maybe stay overnight somewhere too.

Any suggestions without giving away the game would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
WI Tribs

The Milwaukee and Sheboygan have some good water that is certainly big enough for two handers. Both just blew open in the last week, and are now dropping quickly. The season will be heating up quickly now.
The Oconto below Stiles is much bigger yet and will let you get all your running line out if you are so inclined and skilled to do so. Good Luck!

·
Paid subscriber
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I may try the Sheboygan next week...Flows look like they are on their way to fishable. May scout up towards algoma too. Adios
MB

·
Registered
143 Posts
How are these rivers as the weather warms?? I suspect steelhead are only around for a limited time, but I'd be interested in any "Spey-suitable" fishing. I get out that way on business sometimes and would like to find a place to cast a Spey rod on time off.

Thanks..

Scott

·
Registered
63 Posts
WI Steelheading

The WI tribs are best for steelheading late in fall and into winter, especially like last year when it was warm well into January. Then after ice out until the rivers get to warm. Often the fishing lasts well into May, and swinging flies can be very effective all through spring. Now that the river is open, it will continually improve as it drops and warms...the Sheboygan is very high and cold now, but should get some warming as we are supposed to get warm rain and 60 degree temps tomorrow...as a bonus, there have been some huge Browns in the river right after ice out the last few years...tight lines!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts