Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do YOU purchase the `two-hander' you do,is it the label,the performance,your buddies referral,the guarantee,,,maybe the action,or the high end cork,or,,,,?

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
cork grip options

I like long fat grips.

Of the major makers, T&T has been accomodating, but some simply refuse. With so many rod choices available these days, its almost helpful when a maker refuses to do even a modicum of custom work on a $500-$800 rod. A cookie-cutter approach to spey grips has re-routed 2 of my planned purchases to equally suited rods.

The cork connects me to the rod, like shoes to the ground.

·
Registered
886 Posts
When you fish the Spey what else can you use? A single handed rod would not cut it.
If you need to cover the water, you need a big rod

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've found

that i'm forced to cover more `water',since we hardly have any flowing in the Rogue basin here,for less fish,the `average'? fisherman has no idea about the two-handers i use when i'm `bumming around' and i have to tell them whatever to get them back on their journey and away from me,that's what struck me as i drove away last evening to the next dry run;my explanation was confusing to the man i'm sure,,dirty lowholin' rat!!,,any place you can't see the bottom of the river is at a premium right now,i'm back on the 18's and have found that even with hardly any water,they still aid me tremendously in searching

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Need the rod to make me say, "WOW" when I pick it up and work a line out. Other expletives are optional, but WOW is a must. I won't buy a 3 piece rod, especially a spey rod. They just aren't practical. I don't give a hoot what it looks like or who makes it. The rod also must be the best rod for performing the specialized task which I have in mind for it.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
SSPey said:
cork grip options

I like long fat grips.

I turn down all my cork grips to about half the size they come with (from major man.); if I don’t order the smaller grip. :hihi:

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
that's the thing about grips, you can always make them SMALLER

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
because...

Action and feel first, cork second. Who cares what color the blank and components are. Although, some of the new Loomis rods have a bit too much "bling" for my liking, but I own one anyways.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
The only time I get too worked up about componets is when they enhance or hinder the performance of the rod. Recoil guides are a good example. Several of my friends have Winston BIIX rods and each of them has complained about the guides catching the line when a fish is on and that they make noise when they cast. That really cuts into the "Wow" factor...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts