Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot of the post but don't post much. I know a few of the guys on this board and am honored to call them friends. This is such a good board to be a part of and teaching happens in all different ways. I want to share a story about casting.

I am an average caster on a good day. On an average day I am I guess what I call a functional caster I can cast what I need to be able to fish a run. I went to one of the spey claves a couple weekends ago and got to spend some time with some of the friends from this board. One was talking about how he was getting burned out on claves and needed to fish after all that is why we all started doing this in the first place.

I forgot the conversations until this last saturday. I had first water on a nice run on the Sky. I was worrying about how big my loops were and how bad technically my casting was. At the clave I saw some of the tightest loops you could imagine, though one very accomplished caster did say thight loops are casting loops not fishing loops. :) I was thinking well I need to do this and do that to make tighter loops and better casts. I wasn't enjoying my time on the river so then I remember the conversation from a couple weeks ago and said hey you are here to fish not cast and started focusing on that. I focused on fishing and I actually relaxed and really enjoyed the rest of my morning. My casting actually got better and when I missed a cast I laughed at myself. Overall it was a good morning of fishing once I rememberd why I was doing it.

JJ

·
Registered
869 Posts
i couldn't agree more. once in a while i think it's lazy and the battle cry of the lousey caster to say it's more about the fishing. :hihi: i will probably remain a mediocre caster through my days and be happy i can seem to hook fish regularly most days. most of my friends fit this category, although i may speaking for everyone, and they all seem to hook fish pretty regularly too. i practice spey casting for the only reason that it makes my fishing days all about fishing instead of working on my casting. as you stated the two are hard to do at the same time. in the GL area we don't have to make booming casts to hook fish and so most of us just got a rod and started fishing it. we learned and somehow hooked fish, every once in a while we even worked on our casting on the side. the two activities, though related, are clearly distant cousins.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
JJ-
That is why I like fishing you, man! You are a fisherman! An ethuisiastic emotional fisherman!

And with that said, I've got a great JJ story. One evening this past summer he rose two fish, one was that perfect head and tail rise, the other rolled on his skater. I will never forget what transpired just a couple minutes after he rose the second fish...

JJ was just a little frustrated that he just missed two fish in twenty minutes. He was following me through a run, still skatin' his way through a wonderful little riffle when I heard "THERE HE IS!!!!" I turned around, just in time to see a little dinky thing of about 5 full INCHES come flying out of the water on the hook set. :hihi:

·
Registered
344 Posts
NrthFrk16, great story about JJ. I can relate a little too well!

JJ, thanks for the post and reminder. I got into spey casting to help my fishing, and while the casting has taken off with a life of its own, the fishing is what I really care about.

Hope to meet you on the NU this summer. Always nice to see another skater.

--Bill

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sparkey that fish had to of been at least 16 inches and if I was fishing for trout I would have been happy but now I can say that it was kind of funny. Not so much at the time though.

Bill I will be on the NU around in late July and maybe early september. I love skating in the evening down there. Last year got one that took in the very lip of the tailout on a vicious strike. Haven't forgoten that yet. Love that place.

jj

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
I have managed to get to one gathering. My problem is they seem to be held right in the middle of steelhead season. I can't stand around and watch others cast when I know there are fish in the river.

The one gathering I managed to attend was on the Skagit last year and I did enjoy myself for the 20 minutes I was there but then the river started calling and I went back to fishing.

I don't know if I am a good caster or a bad caster or somewhere in the middle. I guess I am somewhere in the middle. I catch fish every now and then and I don't think they know if I am any good either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts