Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sorry horible English
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo,
I saw now the technik of Skagit casting first time on the Rio demo.
What are the adventages compaired with underhand casting.
I try to cast with both hands and up to 850grain Rio Tungsten dragger it hadn't been a real problem to fish sinking lines or sink tips.
Wher is the advantage of the extra move?
When do you prefer Skagit cast and when single Spey or Underhand Cast.

Thanks
Benjamin

·
Registered
344 Posts
skagit

As far as I can tell, the big advantage to skagit style, is when you are using a BIG-HUGE-HEAVY fly. The rest of the time I don't think there is an advantage (but maybe I just haven't seen the light!).

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
I also like Skagit (waterloading) casting when dealing with wind. I can locate my anchor without the wind blowing it. Fishing under overhanging trees, just dump the line in the water in front of you pick it up low and cast it out.

Rich

·
Fishing the Purple Tiger
609 Posts
It all depends on where you fish.

Where I fish my casts average between 50' and 60' with a heavy sink tip and a big fly. I typically have no back cast room, as in NONE. I am working each and every cast differently to get the d-loop around a tree limb or a stump or whatever. Each cast is perpendicular to the current, not down and across, because the fly must get up to 10' down...I will only use a Skagit for that type of fishing with a two hander.

I know guys that fish the Skagit river and don't use Skagit lines. This is because they prefer different runs.

Buy a Skagit line a give it a go. See if it suits you. It isn't like they cost very much compared to all the rods and reels you already own. :saeek:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Anyone who casts a [30-foot] 850 grain Rio tungsten dredger without problem doesn't need Skagit methods! Good work!
Amen, especially assuming by your post that you are doing single spey i.e. scandi/underhand casting!!! I can single spey my skagit as well as snake roll with a sinktip etc. I just don't choose to very often...:razz:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Big flies or strong winds are two things that make me skagit cast. I try to keep this to a minimun when I'm chasing for Atlantics, especially when fishing in clear waters. When fishing for the Pacific salmon my go to cast is the snap-t - quick and easy and the fish over there don't seem to mind the splashing:smokin:.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Why Skagit?

Skagit = Easy

Skagit for tight to the bank, high water winter lies are nice option to fish tough water that would otherwise be really tough or impossible.

BB~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts