Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Goodday All,

I've read many posts on this board singing the praises of the older hardy reels. I have an old salmon Marquis #2 and personnally this reel fills a backup role in my tackle selection. In fact I'm sure I could have sold it a couple of times over but I continue to keep it mainly because other like them so much, that I'm sure I'm just missing the value.

So with all the really great reels out there, what's so great about the older Marquis and Perfect Hardy reels?

Cheers N I

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey NI...

I can't really explain it. I just love the Marquis Salmon reels. They are simple and classy. They look good and work good. What else could a guy ask. I sold my first #2 to raise money for my shop. That was a BIG mistake! There were 5 steelheaders in my shop when I said I would sell it. These 5 guys have some of the finest equipment in the world but when I named my price (it wasn't cheap) 5 wallets came out. I was lucky enough to obtain another #2 and a #3 and they aren't going anywhere. I sell Loop, Hardy, Waterworks/Lamson, Teton/Tioga, and Okuma spey size reels but I fish with the Marquis. If you ever get ready to part with yours please let me know. I will give it a good home. :lildevl:

As to the Perfects I've never had one but I think the name says it all. :cool:
Take care, MJC

PS, Good answer Rob!

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All

Doesn't the sound bother anyone? To me it sounds like the starter moter on an old car failing.

Cheers N I

·
Registered
693 Posts
They are very reliable. The click drag is so simple there is not much that can go wrong with it.

Plus, like roballen2 stated, they are cool. When you hook a big Atlantic on one and he runs a hundred yards the sound and feel is fantastic.

Charlie

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
North Island,

It certainly isn't becasue of the tolerances or the train stopping drag. For me it is they simply have personality. There is something just pretty damn sexy about a well maintained 80 year-old reel. It has heft, it has lines and it has a nice honest growl. And yes, on those dawn mornings when you are pulling off line, the sound can get a bit loud but when a fish hits and heads for the salt, it is kind of like the old slogan for Porshe, "there is no substitute".

'tip

·
Registered
96 Posts
Close encouters of a bird kind.......

I have been using Hardy Reels for quite sometime and like Sinktip stated the loud sound of pulling line off in the early morning darkness at times seems a bit loud. On the other hand if you are a "Birdwatcher" like I am, you occasionly get a little bonus in this regard.
A number of years ago I was fishing on a very popular run in a Northern B.C. river I was the first to the top of the run and was just strting to pull the line from my Perfect, on about the third pull a Great Horned Owl came flying straight across the river to have a go at whatever was making that squealing dieing animal screeh. I saw the Owl coming and held my rod in front of me the Owl saw (I guess) that I was not quite bite sized and flew on his way for more suitable prey elsewhere.
Like the Owl I too like the sound and try to be in close proximity whenever a Hardy is getting loud (the benefits of this policy should be obvious)!

·
loco alto!
3,054 Posts
I love the noise! No yelling, let the reel do the talking. But the early morning sound can be loud. The only time I worry about it is when I am fishing camp water at dawn, when the noise might disturb my wife or others sleeping in late.

To deal with that, I occasionally will release the spool mechanism to disengage the gears when initially stripping off my working length of line right in front of camp. Its easy on my reels (CFO VI, JLH Salmon, Marquis Salmon 2). Not so with the perfects..

I did this just yesterday and my late sleeping friends didn't notice that I had slipped into our camp water at dawn. However, a bit later over breakfast they both said something about hearing a drag singing early in the morning :wink:

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Hardy click reels a reels are just cool and simple. North Island keep me in mind for the salmon 2 I do need another one.

Kevin

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think alot has to do with the history involved with Hardy and also the fact that even the old Orvis reels were made by Hardy Bros. A number of the old perfects still have the makers name initialled inside the reel . So when you own a Hardy you own a piece of flyfishing history, besides they still work and are very reliable

·
Registered
886 Posts
Would you rather own an E Type Jaguar or a Nissan Micra?
The Nissan has all the toys aircon electric seats cd autochanger etc etc etc.
I know which I would rather drive. I only ever fish with Hardy reels.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
But the E-Type has 4-wheel disc brakes, syncromesh transmission, and 4-wheel independent suspension. A much fairer comparison to the Hardy would be one of the old mechanically operated (meaning cable operated, no hydralics) brakes, non-sychomesh transmission, and live solid axles front and rear with leave springs and very small dampers or shock absorbers like the pre-1910 cars.

I love the E-Type; however, I have no desire to drive one of the old live axles, non-syndromesh transmission, mechanical brake cars from the very early 1900's, and I suspect you don't either. The majority of the Hardy reels are based on a pre-1900 design.

Personally, I don't like the loudness of the Hardies and much prefer to use the modern, disc drag, quiet ones that are manufactured with better tolerances. Likewise, eventhough I think the E-Type is a terrific car, it doesn't come close to a modern Dodge Viper, Corvette, Aston Martin, Ferrari, or AMG. In its day, the E-Type was as good as the other high performance sports cars; however, today, its older technology will not let it compete against the modern high performance sports cars.

Another way of looking at it is to compare modern graphite (or carbon fiber) rods to the Greenheart of old. How many of us would give up our modern 14' or 15' graphite 2-hander for a 14' or 15' greenheart?

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Russ I would say it is no different than using overdressed salmon flies or spey flies when a chunk of rabbit will suffice 99% of the time. It is the aesthetic aspect of the sport that I think explains most guys obsession with old hardys.

Hardys provide a little extra to the fishing experience I love even though I can only afford the newer bougles. I got a peek at some of Andres and they sure are pretty.

-sean

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Sean,

Yep, you nailed me proper and good. :chuckle: However, many of the new reels have very fine aesthetics too. I just do not like the sound of the Hardy's antiquated drag system disturbing the quiet. When I fish with Bob Arnold, I know where he is and if he hooked a fish or not because of the "wail" of his Hardy.

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Especially when some of the reel manufacturers today are building truly exquisite products. these reels not only look fantastic but perform beautifully when faced with large fish and saltwater conditions. Do get me started on the drag systems or lack there of. :lildevl:

N I

·
Registered
427 Posts
NI,

Its just one of those things, some prefer blonds, some brunettes and others redheads, the classics one might say. These equate to the CFOVI's, Perfects, and Marquis. The high tech wiz bangs are slightly "metro" in my book. When it comes to steelhead IMO, the feeling is more genuine with the classics (the possible exception of my first Thompson fish on my Islander).

I guess the other thing is any Joe can go to the local tackle shop and buy any wiz bang reel he wants. I get a special feeling when they look at my old reel and feel good about themselves and their purchases.

Now, I will bring the Islander, Saracione and other wiz bangs to the Charlottes in August.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
North Island,

Right! And after several years of use, the new well-made reels with the fine disc drags will develop that nice patina using a reel creates that other people have spoken about.

Andre,

There are those fine old Van Hoffe's and Ballans that do not have the "wailing drag" of the Hardies. And many folks consider those who fish with them to be metro do to their rarity and cost.

·
Registered
427 Posts
FT,

I have a Bogdan that is a great reel, I only wish it was larger. I have been eyeing Vom Hofe's, Walkers, and Zwargs for a period of time and am kicking myself for not picking them up years ago. I wouldn't put Ballen's in that class.

FMP, its a feeling you get, something internal. Back to the cars, I have a 71' 280sl with 61K miles. It is very original and in excellent condition, will it hang with a new SL55 on the road NO, in the parking lot yes.

Pure performance is one thing, pleasure derived is a personnal measurement. If perfomancce was to catch numbers I would use gear, but I choose to throw flies. Some guys only fish dry line, some only dry flies, some long belly lines, some short (some are confused)....

I guess to answer the question: because I like them, but I liked them before they became cool.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Andre,

IMO, you nailed the reason people use what they do perfectly!

I still love the pre-V-12 E-Type Jaguar and sorely miss the '69 Charger R/T I owned back in the day. However, my next car is going to be a 400hp Dodge Magnum SRT-8 that is to be on the market next April. It will be way cool to have a station wagon (it will hold my rods and whatever else to boot) that has good brakes and handling which goes like stink. Just think, in 20 years, it will be a classic too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree on the pre v12's although the 12's were very smooth.

I had a 69 Cougar convertable with about 300hp at the wheels really moved. I sold my A8 (audi) due to not being able to handle getting off the beaten path for fishing. Although I was never late getting home I bounced the limiter a couple times.

I love my current Landcruiser with F/C/R lockers it will get me into any fishing area I dare venture, albeit slow and thirsty. I consider this close to the ultimate fishing vehicle.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts