Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or does it seem like nothing is selling here in the classifieds? I mean, stuff that would usually be gone in an instant just sits there. Burkheimers, Bob Clays, pre-war Hardy reels, custom reels like Henshaws etc. etc. I've never seen such lack of interest since I've been on the board.

Has everyone just run out of money simultaneously or is the tackle market saturated, or is it Christmas , or?? Just curious what others observe.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
my Bet

Xmas and the Mrs pulling on the purse strings, my case anyways

·
Banned
894 Posts
I think your bang on, for me the end of the year means smaller paychecks as we Canucks start paying CPP and EI premiums. Christmas seems to be getting bigger each year as the families grow as do our friends families, kids join after school activities and we chose to sponsor a child also. I am sure the market will eventually become saturated also as some people move to modern technology. In the end it works for me cause if the market floods I may eventually be able to afford a nice vintage reel 😊

sent from the North Pole

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
I just sold a bunch of lines through the holidays :):)
Then again , small items will sell faster than large items at this time of year .
With Christmas behind us now , the classifieds here will pick up .
I have noticed this for many years being a member here ... nothing new .

This is the reason why I have not listed three reels for sale yet ... ;)

Mike

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I just found a couple lines that I've been looking for over in the classifieds and still looking...

Speaking for myself here - but there are three birthdays in the family between Thanksgiving and the end of January.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Odd as it may seem ... I'd a 'Day late,' but not a dollar short.

Many 'buys,' a couple of sales, here over the years. My 'problem' is I read the for sale post right after someone else. My "I'm In" is minutes later than the other guy.

Hate that!:saevilw:

fae

·
Registered
602 Posts
you never really see "sold" items.... as most people delete the listing once sold

but... if you feel like reversing the trend... Ive got 2 Hardys that are listed

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I know that there are like three Burkheimers for sale right now that people should jump on. at least last time i checked they were still for sale.
riedfamilyfive has an 8139 that's been on here a while i can't believe someone hasn't bought it probably the best spey rod ever designed..

·
Registered
824 Posts
Selling

Salmon Cane
Hello keith ,
I myself think everyone pretty well has what they need for steelheading and salmon fishing , those that collect only want stuff that's mint to hold its value

I also think the prices have come down some in the last year , I also think everyone's a little worried about the mess money wise that is going on in the world

I check this site almost daily if I can and I do see what your talking about ,

I come here hopeing to see that old Hardy I found for you up for sale , I don't think it would last long on the classified page :hihi:
No need to list it , just send me a email , Wilma sends her love and happy new year to you , maybe we fish again in 2015

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I do think mid-winter/post Christmas is a tough season. Also, a former frequenter of flea markets, I think there has been a trend to over pricing things a bit lately. It never matters what someone thinks something is worth, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Just because something is near new or lightly used, it rarely sells for more than about 55 or 60% of retail. And an ebay price where tow or three people from the world population bid an item up, is not the same as the classifieds here.

Just a thought. I've bought a bunch of rods and reels in the past, sold quite a few, and just bought tow lines. If my wallet was fatter right now there have been couple things I'd have been on in the past week. But my wife and kids ahd decent Christmases instead.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
795 Posts
Seems to me the past couples years have had less, and slower sales than previous years. Think much has to do with the general decline in the economy since 2009 and also there is much more supply for the market. Less expensive, but quality gear is more available to those entering the sport now. So you got more used and less expensive gear for sale when the purchaser decides to drop out of the game or to upgrade. Used to be a greater market for the higher end used gear. Also think the numbers of those entering the sport has reached a plateau.

·
Registered
994 Posts
US dollar is worth too much. Or Can. Dollar worth too little. 500us turns into 600$ can pretty quickly . That's my reason. I also have overspent in the past couple years.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I've been into spey for a year, and have bought most of my gear here on speypages.
Good rods at decent prices, smaller stuff like lines and so forth you find all the time, but to find a decent reel, very difficult.
Thats my take,
J

·
Registered
148 Posts
As somone who just pounced on a winston 7133 that popped up on the classifieds, I'm glad I did! Wouldn't of lasted 30 seconds longer probably. So I guess it just depends.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm in the low Canadian dollar camp; I bought a lot of stuff over the last 5yrs and I'm glad I did it while our dollar was good. Now I must be content with what I have...or maybe now I should sell some stuff

On a side note; it baffles me why our dollar is worth less than the US dollar when the US debt is 18 trillion frikkin dollas!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts