Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that I find that triangle tapers are so much easier to cast than midspeys or grandspeys. It just seams that when I am on my forward cast that it is much easier to lift the thinner front of the Triangle taper than the other lines even if I am a bit late on the forward cast. Just wondering what others thoughts are on this and if there are other lines that are similiar to the triangle taper, as the mentioned lines are the only ones I have tried.
Thanks in advance!:)

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
continuous forward taper

The secret to the Triangle Taper is the continuous forward taper. This makes the line heavier at the back end and much lighter at the front, making it feel easier to lift. Even if you "hit it" late as you describe with the TT (to a point) the continuous taper will give you enough energy transfer down the line to turn it over. The downside is that the tip of the Triangle Taper is very light and doesn't like to turn over big flies, so casters using it for larger bugs usually cut it back @ 5ft or so before knotting on a leader.

The Triangle Taper concept has its antecedents in the thinking and lines of the famed Scots speymaster Alexander Grant, and you'll find spey lines like the Airflo Delta Traditional, the SA XLT and the GrandSpey you mentioned all share aspects of this design, although none does it quite so radically and completely as the Triangle Taper Spey. Almost all of my custom long belly lines use pieces of the Triangle Taper at the front end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts