Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. I've got a few Vectors and like them very well. Seems like Gaelforce and Nextcast are getting the majority of the attention right now (and deservedly so as they make very fine lines) while the Vectors seem to be a forgotten thing of the past. I've cast several Gaelforce and Nextcast lines (even own some Nextcast) but for my stroke the Vector taper typically works as well as any and better than most. Plus, there are a huge variety of sizes and two lengths, and when cut and looped they throw tips very nicely. So, if anybody can shed some light on this for my I would greatly appreciate it. All opinions welcome.

CT

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm not sure why the vector lines aren't talked about much there great lines I'd rather use them over most of the other lines mentioned and there a far better price . I also like the Beulah aero lines cut back with tips both lines have a great taper and fish very well I'm a fan of both .

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I like the Vector lines, I have one in 8/9 and it's great. (Even better once I lopped the head off).
Very, very advanced lines. Right up there.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I love vector lines. Fished or own most of them. My daily driver in summer is the 8/9 XL. I prefer them over the nextcast for fishing(mending/presentation and feel of delivery). I have not tried the newer nextcast though. Can't justify forking out the money for gaelforce when I'm happy with the Vectors. Running lines are great too. I tried the single hand line and was very impressed.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Hard to know why one thing gets more buzz than another.

Here is some speculation, emphasis on "speculation":

1. NextCast has been around longer, has a larger and more widespread "pro staff", is highly visible on the competition circuit. Thus, more buzz, more people to answer questions on the boards.

2. NextCast has a broader and deeper product line. Lines comes in heads (easier to try out, and to switch around) and the most popular ones can be had pre-looped for tips. That makes them potentially more versatile and appealing to a wider customer base. May or may translate into more lines, but almost certainly translates into more questions about lines.

3. While there is nothing wrong with the Vector, I have a few, the taper design is different, and my subjective impression is that the NextCast lines mostly have a more forgiving taper.

I have less experience with the Gaelforce lines, only have a couple, but would argue, even more speculatively, based partly on the heritage of the lines, the above three things are true for them as well, though to a somewhat lesser extent.

Neither #1 nor #2, it should be clear, have anything at all to do with the product itself.

·
Registered
734 Posts
good question

Two years ago, someone on this board recommended a 500 gn Ballistic Vector for my Winston 7133. In five casts I understood why. Have since gotten Vectors for two other rods. The scandis and every other line I own have been collecting dust ever since.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I like how Vector lines cast nice and easy using long leaders and unweighted flies. Don't know about Galeforce lines. Those look very good in numbers and on paper. But I think the beauty in NC lines is in the weight - they are heavier in weight class than others. NC 55 7/8 is approx. 80 grains heavier than a comparable Vector 7/8. The weight difference makes it easier to cast on any given rod when it is matched by rod weight designation - more feel for the load - and so you slow down more. Forgiving ? Sure. It's the same olden theory of up-lining by one weight when learning to spey cast then backing off as you become comfortable with a line. Many casters prefer NC line one weight under for the same reason.

The weight also makes casting tips easier. A FF 7/8, right out of the box without alteration, will make short work out of the longest polyleaders in the market while the same WA can man-handle fairly aggressive tips. The Vector would have to step up to an 8/9 to compare . That's just how I see most lines available these days compared to NC lines.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I fish the vector xl 7/8 on my old 8150. Fantastic line!!! I have casted/fished the fall favorite 55 & 70 on this rod and still liked the XL the most. I also fish the standard vector 7/8 on my 8126-3. One thing I notice is more nextcast lines for sale than Ballistic :hihi:

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Forgiving ? Sure. It's the same olden theory of up-lining by one weight when learning to spey cast then backing off as you become comfortable with a line.
It's more complicated than that, the tapers are different. If you wanted to do a comparison that is apples-to-apples on the total weight, you would compare, say, a NextCast 55 7/8 to a Beulah Aero 8/9 to a Vector 8/9. All of these are in the 570-580 gr range and I personally would use them on the same rod. It's not the total line weight, it's where in the line the weight is placed, and all three of these lines have different design concepts and different performance profiles as a result.

Get thee to a micrometer!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
It's more complicated than that, the tapers are different. If you wanted to do a comparison that is apples-to-apples on the total weight, you would compare, say, a NextCast 55 7/8 to a Beulah Aero 8/9 to a Vector 8/9. All of these are in the 570-580 gr range and I personally would use them on the same rod. It's not the total line weight, it's where in the line the weight is placed, and all three of these lines have different design concepts and different performance profiles as a result.

Get thee to a micrometer!
I though the comparison was popularity of NC and Galeforce lines against the Ballistic Vector. Not apples to apples but one against the other. No mention of any others in the original post. Tapers and grains working in unison is where it is really at.

Sure - gauging and mapping a line out will give you an idea of what it will do. Me - Im not to that point. I'd rather simply cast it and see. ;)

I can say that other than by passing lines around, the names on NC staff had nothing to do with casting them or why I like the lines. They where offered up on a line rotation when they had only three sizes other than the competition lines.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Seems like marketing differences to me. It appears as though Vector is a one man (and woman) show for marketing while Nextcast and Gaelforce have many expert casters demonstrating their lines at the various claves/venues. Just my impression from the little hanging around the fishing business folks I do. Gaelforce has done a good job of getting out their message of dominance at the casting competitions (I know, just a part of the overall spey world but still a visible one). Not sure how many people know that a Vector line won the senior division at SOR this year, and there was no (at least not visible) Vector presence at the Sandy Clave this year. So, conclusion Watson...?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
MARKETING and distribution.

Where in Canada can I buy a Ballistic Vector line? I have no clue.

That said I'll stick with my CND GPS lines...:hihi:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like Snake River Outfitters (Lee Davidson) and Poppy are the only two outlets for Vectors, and Express scandi's for that matter. In this age of electronic communication and purchasing, getting a line is no big deal, BUT, having Poppy in the mix makes demo lines available. In fact, I should have two demo Vectors showing up any minute now. All hail Poppy and his demo program. Has saved me a pile of $ trying to find the right lines.

Everyone lamenting the demise of the green Deltas and Delta longs should give Vectors and Vector XL's a try. You might be VERY pleasantly suprised. Now it's time to head to the river to give a Vector XL 9/10 a spin on the big MKS.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
No doubt Poppy is great and an asset, but he doesn't represent Vector when he's out and about at the shows/claves, he only shows Gaelforce lines (and rods).

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Midd,

Yeah, he's pushing Gaelforce right now but Lee Davidson is usually at the Claves. In fact, Poppy told me that he was in Lee's spot this year. I know that some of the rod makers (e.g. Gary Anderson) had some spooled up for demoing rods. With that said I am signing off to got test a 9/10 XL.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Mass in the ass

I think its the huge amount of mass in the ass that makes the Nextcast easy to cast and therefore more popular.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like the Vectors I have, and especially the XLs. I don't think I ever go to the river for a casting session without at least one Vector in my bag. I recently picked up a Vector Magnum at Spey-O-Rama. It's heavy for my rod(I plan on trimming some grains out), but it's another very good head.

Looking forward to the Gaelforce 70 heads.

briansII

1 - 20 of 43 Posts