Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
January 25 – Feb 1 I am going down to Argentine for a cartography job. I will be mapping/fishing the Las Buitreras beat on Rio Gallego in the Santa Cruz region of southern Patagonia. This is the first beat above the tidal water, and extends over some 20 miles. Those of my friends that have fished both Gallegos and Rio Grande say that you maybe get higher numbers on the Grande, but that the character of teh Gallego with more pronounced pools and overall character of the water makes up for that. This corresponds well with the films and photos I have seen.

The Las Buitreras Fishings is operated by Loop Tackle Company. Like on the Ponoi they now are working shoulder to shoulder with Frontiers. (On Gallegos Frontiers operate the beat above Loop’s.)

Would any of you fellow Spey casters like to join? We will be fishing for large sea run browns that normally weight 10-15 ponds with fish over 20 pounds within realistic reach. I am told that an average angler would expect 4-6 fish a day, with a skilled rod being in for quite a few more.

For those that enjoy good trout fishing the estancia has several creeks with large brook trout and big resident brown. As these, as I am told, are spring creeks they make for a good backup should the main river blow out.

As that week’s host I will make certain that we can go to depth with things like “how to mend with a shooting head” and other things we have discussed throughout the past 3 years on this board. Aside from technique stuff and flytying it also will be a great chanse to discuss other destinations, like the Kola Peninsula. I will bring slides.

Down there a steelheader that, like us Scandinavian Sea trout fishermen, easily moves over from fast sinking tips to skating dries has a large advantage. Sea trout, per definition, are moody and what is true in the morning very well can be false by mid day. It pays well to experiment.

I have often been asked how Atlantic salmon and Steelhead compare. In a way they do, but what strikes me more and more is how much better Steelheads and Searun Browns do. Both are anadromous trout that are very much more active in freshwater than what the salmons are. Our Baltic sea trout start to eat after the spawning and are rather well mended when we are allowed to fish for them in the spring. Often enough they only take flies presented at eyelevel, although they might explode at a Bomber in warmer days.

Please e-mail me if at all interested. I am not making a dime out of this – my motive is to make sure that we get to be a good team that can benefit from each other’s knowledge.

Anyone with knowledge from these waters? All info. is welcome!

"Tight lines"

Per

[email protected]

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
status report

Only a few spots remain now. I have just been in touch with Loop's US rep, Reid Zoller, who has spent several weeks down there while monitoring the finishing stages of the new lodge. As news breaks he successfully has negotitated the lease of another 10km, meaning the we now can fish a full 40km of river, and that my maps have to be longer.....
Reid has done some sample fishing and already a few weesk ago he had several big seabright fish including a silver mint trout of 11kg. If you check in on
www.looptackle.se
you can see a pdf. thing on Gallego. A photo of Reid' superb fish is there. I want to go now!!!!
We will be a superb team of really good fishermen.
Again the dates are Jan 25 to Feb 1.
E-mail me if at all interested. I feel this soon will develop into a dead man's shoe situation. The prime weeks, like this, will be kept by regulars. There still is time to become one!
"Tight lines"
Per

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Per - since you first mentioned this adventure, the dream keeps recurring in my head. Please keep us posted and I will vow to join you down there someday! I get a fresh new set of vacation days on Jan 1, who knows what I might do with them! :)

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Juro,
I feel so bad about you being let down by the air carriers stupid pricing policy. Still a few days only this late on the Tweed hardly is worth that expensive flight. I have done it and mainly caught stale to semi-bright fish in dreadful weather. Of course, a chanse to fish any of the two Floors, the Junction or Sprouston/Hendersyde as a guest not would be turned down at any flight prices......

You would love Gallego and I would love to meet you. If you feel there are any chanses at all: do a preliminary booking for Buenos Aires already now - I got mine roundtrip from Stockholm for only $550 with Iberia (Spain), as late as this week. With a cancellation insurance one can give it up at little loss, comes worst to worst.

"Tight lines!"
Per

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
In the case of the recent Tweed opportunity, the flight prices were only the last nail in the coffin. Of my two bosses, one at work and one at home, both were questioning my commitment :rolleyes: There were family constraints around the Thanksgiving holiday, and a major (perhaps one of the biggest) product release at work and more within the opportunity time period. I could not have planned a worse week to try it, but the lure of Derek Brown's home waters with a great friend and angler was too much to bear! I can see why some men lose their jobs and wives over their love for fishing. I can just barely hold on at times like this! :D Ah well, this way there will be more fishing and more happiness over the long run.

Perhaps this trip in January will serve as the consolation prize! :devil: I'll send you an email...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Per,

turns out I will be working in Punta Arenas during the same period. I'm planning on fishing the Chilean side but might have some time to drive across the border. Do you think it's worth my while to drive the distance? Are you guys planning to do a bit of exploring as well, or are you 'stuck' at the lodge?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts