Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's this saying that I think about often. Can anyone tell me where this came from or who said it? I was thinking it was Lefty for some reason.

"There are three stages in an angler's life. The first is where he/she wants to catch the most fish, the second when he/she wants to catch the largest fish, and the last is when he/she wants to catch the most difficult fish."

Who the hell said that?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've heard a few similar versions of that one, not sure what the original quote was or who said it. Always liked it though. My favorite I think goes as follows:

"At first the new angler wants to catch as many fish as they can, then as they get better it becomes a quest for the biggest fish, finally they come to value the total experience" (or something similar to that)

·
JD
3,609 Posts
At first the angler wants to catch a fish. Then he wants to catch a lot of fish. Then a big fish, followed by a lot of big fish. Finally, it comes full circle to just catch a fish. Probably goes back as far as Isaac Walton.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Who Said That?

I believe this is a quote from Edward Hewitt one of the Catskill greats from the early part of the 20th century. I think he was also the originator of the bivisible and spider flies. Mtbill

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I think Jim's got it right.

At first the angler wants to catch a fish. Then he wants to catch a lot of fish. Then a big fish, followed by a lot of big fish. Finally, it comes full circle to just catch a fish. Probably goes back as far as Isaac Walton.
Have a picture, some place, with a 50# King Salmon and I was age, give or take, 10? 'What do you want to do with the fish?' I tossed it back into the salt.

Mr. Coles rolled another smoke, looked at me and:

"Good answer."

Edit: I can't remember the last time I 'killed' a fish. They are all our 'tomorrows.'
fae

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
The seven ages of a fisherman:

1. just wants to go fishing
2. just wants to catch any fish
3. now wants to catch many fish
4. now wants to catch big fish
5. now wants to catch 'difficult to catch' fish
6. just wants to catch any fish
7. just wants to go fishing

Mike

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dead on Mike.

Add a Dog, or two, sitting behind. Sandy, my yellow lab, would be in foot steps of me, Husker's would flaked out on the beach. One eye open and 'time to move.'

Both gone now but 200# of fluff-butts on the bed.

WOULD YOU TWO MOVE OVER SO I HAVE SOME PLACE TO SLEEP! Foot shoving and I got a sliver of the bed. Hour before day break and the two tossed into the Jeep.

Good times, past times, but good times. Probably TMI but their ash boxes are here on my desk. Lots of pictures; 'OK kids, what do you think?'

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lee Wulff?

I have heard Lee Wulff say this or I read it in one of his books. I will find the source tonight.

That is not to say he coined the phrase.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard Lee Wulff say this or I read it in one of his books. I will find the source tonight.

That is not to say he coined the phrase.
Thanks FF! I'll do some research on Lee Wulff and this quote too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts