Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who Makes Nice Custom Rods?

I am now discovering all the complexities of Fly Fishing. I was first looking to buy A Sage Ds2 rod, then a Orvis Silverlabel, then a Temple Forks, and now I am exploring the possibility of a custom made rod. I made a post in a classifieds section of another website and a guy named Marc from MTS rods said that he could make me a very good rod at a very reasonable price that I probably couldn't match at retail? Am I just being led on or is there something behind this custom rod thing? It sounds like a good idea but I don't know if you have to really spend a lot of money to get a nice custom rod and if the cheaper ones are just junk? What do you guys think?

J

·
0 Posts
Perhaps, in this day and age, the most important quesion to ask any "custom" rod builder is about his warranty. I paid a lot of money to have custom speyrod made only to have the tip break on about the eighth cast with it. While the blank was covered, the person's work was not. Those eight casts cost me about $300.00. I have no argument with the maker, because no warranty was ever implied or even discussed, but you can bet the next time I'd pay a little more to get one. One other piece of advice is to make sure you know whose blank you're getting. Trying to save money by buying from a custom maker only to get a Wally World type blank is not saving money at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a custom builder this might seem self-serving, but I'm not advertising myself, so hopefully this will be taken in the proper spirit. The advice on warranty is very good. Also, ask the builder if he will provide "references." This should give you at least some indication of his skill.

Oh, the less expensive rods are not necessarily junk. (They can be, but not by default.) Although most custom builders try to be competitive, they can sometimes save you cash because they don't have to advertise, develop products, etc. Factory and custom rods both have their place. All depends on what you want!

Again, I hope this helps, and that it is taken correctly! =)

·
Registered
57 Posts
pastortd said:
As a custom builder this might seem self-serving, but I'm not advertising myself, so hopefully this will be taken in the proper spirit. The advice on warranty is very good. Also, ask the builder if he will provide "references." This should give you at least some indication of his skill.

Another indication of skill is in finishing the wraps. The coat of finish on the wraps should be level and thin, not like a football. Excess finish does not do any good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! I am going to look into getting a custom rod built a little more extensively now. If anyone has had any great expierences with reasonably priced rod builders feel free to e-mail me @ [email protected]. Also any suggestions on nice blanks? Thanks

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Good custom rod maker ... and references to boot.

:D

Both Andy Zwan (aka 'fish-head on the Board) and I have several rods made by Gary Anderson of Gold Hill, Oregon. First rate work, fast on repairs (I got to test that one) and price ... on average was $100, or more, less than the cost of a Sage made Sage rod.

You can call Gary at 541 582 4318

If you call, advise him you were referred by Andy and myself.
Fred Evans

·
Registered
8 Posts
As Fred said Gary is the Master at what he does . Warranty have never been an issue at all . Truly a great guy . Give him a call and ask him some question's about what you are looking for . Fish-head

1 - 7 of 7 Posts