Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me who makes Cabela's store brand spey rods?And will they work in the surf? Or would you used something else?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Personally, I would check out the TFO 12' 12 wt for surf work. Lots written on this rod and it's merits for the demands of surf fishing.
Chris

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I don't know who makes all Cabela's rods. At one time I believe some of them came from St. Croix. I believe they will work as good in the surf as any other comparable two hander of the same length and line weight. That is not to say a 15' rod might work as good as an 11' rod such as an Atlantis or a 12X12 TFO.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hi Al -

I have many years of experience fishing two-handers in the surf, both Spey and overhead styles. I rent a place in Chatham for the summer and guide on Monomoy and the outer beaches of Cape Cod.

I would suggest these considerations:

What type of fishing - swinging a long belly line or strip retrieving a shooting head?

Fly size?

Rocks or boat involved?

Surfside and flats or just surf? (or just flats :))

These determine things like rod length and action, handle configuration, and of course all saltwater demands the most corrosion resistant of components.

BTW - I have no idea who makes Cabelas rods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two-handed In The Surf?

What would be your ideal of a beginner two-handed rod for the surf?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
BIG AL said:
What would be your ideal of a beginner two-handed rod for the surf?
The choices are growing, but you want something that's not too long and with an overhead casting taper (assuming you are going to overhead cast verses spey cast). of course this is a subtle difference but I'm sure I am not going to be the first and only one to say there is something different about a rod made for spey casting and one made for overhead casting with two-hands. You can do either with either but you might not enjoy it quite as much with one verses the other. Boy that's a Yogi Berra quote if I ever made one :)

Here in striper country we strip retrieve very close to the shore because many strikes come at the end of the cast. While retrieving the long more supple rods common to spey casting bounce, reverberate and detract from sensitivity and hook setting. Once the fish is hooked, the long wand doesn't help you land fish on rocks or while wading far from shore unless you bring a ghillie.

I believe you want a length that gives you the distinct two-handed advantage while not being too cumbersome for fishing. I believe that length to be 11ft, you might go a little longer but I would advise against starting out with a rod that is 14 or 15ft long and suited to Spey casting on rivers.

Some longer rods might excel in the casting aspect provided they are not too soft but the rest of the surf and rip fishing activities common to the coast are somewhat compromised for the sake of the casting with more traditional Spey designs. Most of these purchases end up on eBay so I would not recommend this as a starter setup.

Besides even the 11ft rods cast up to 150ft with the new two-handed overhead lines and provide a good balance of casting, fishing and landing characteristics for the coastal angler so you really don't need the 15 foot rods for overheading the surf.

Since you said 'beginner' I assume you mean price. There are three levels to buy into a surf-suitable two hander (a) value (b) price/performance and (c) upper shelf. I will let you shop around to see which fall into which, purely based on price. Which one likes best is subjective and to some the lower priced rods are better than the higher, and vice versa.

I am involved with the introduction of the CND Atlantis so will avoid expressing my own personal biases any further and hope you shop around to make your own decision.

In any case, you are about to embark on a journey that has huge rewards with a little persistence and practice I would guess that you will find an increasingly smaller number of situations where a single hander feels like the best tool to use.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Big Al...

I am involved with the introduction of the CND Atlantis so will avoid expressing my own personal biases any further
I will say it. The Atlantis is one fine rod. The only drawback at the present time concerning the Atlantis might be finding one.

Juro has forgotten more about fishing the eastern shore then I will ever know but here is what I think. I agree with what he says about rod length and a spey rod action versus an overhand action.

If money is no object there are several great choices. Three that quickly come to mind are Thomas & Thomas, Bob Meiser, and the above mentioned CND Atlantis. In my opinion if one is on a budget then a great choice would be the TFO 12X12 @ $299.00. That is probably about as inexpensive as one can get for a rod that is not some sort of compromise.

Al check out the striper section on Juro's board, "The FlyFishing Forum". There is lots of great advice there. Look for posts by "2hands-the-salt" for some good info on the TFO rods.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
With the experience I have with surf casting (limited to Great Lakes) I would say go with the 12ft6in8wt TFO. At $250.00, you can't wrong, if you need something in t he heavy weight class, go with the 12X12.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Based on this:

MJC said:
I will say it. The Atlantis is one fine rod. The only drawback at the present time concerning the Atlantis might be finding one.
I'd ignore this:

juro said:
I am involved with the introduction of the CND Atlantis so will avoid expressing my own personal biases any further and hope you shop around to make your own decision.
and buy one of the CND Atlantis'. :D I don't have one, but from what I've seen, EVERYONE who's gotten their hands on one, absolutly loves it.

I do have a TFO rod and think it's a great value. Many Saltwater guides recommend the TFO rods. If you have a limited budget, get the TFO. If you have a bit more to spend go for the CND.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts