Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a great gathering. The best thing about the Sandy (other than Meiz' 15 for 7/8) is the comraderie. Hanging out with the River Run Clan was just too much fun. I don't know how, but in the process of Mike teaching me how to sleep in a chair, I got hung over. It just don't get any better than that. :hihi:

Thank you Mark for putting this great event on (again), and thank you Bob and Laura for your incredible hard work and hospitality.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
:hihi:
Flyguy9 said:
Hanging out with the River Run Clan was just too much fun. I don't know how, but in the process of Mike teaching me how to sleep in a chair, I got hung over. It just don't get any better than that. :hihi:

Thank you Mark for putting this great event on (again), and thank you Bob and Laura for your incredible hard work and hospitality.
Yep, you not the only one :hihi:

Attachments

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
I had a great time as well.

A big Thank You to our hosts/coordinators. Obviously a great deal of time and energy went into this. Thanks!!!

I didnt camp, but managed to be there both days. Always good to see familiar faces, put faces with names, and meet new folks as well. There were actually some Ladies out and about tossing line. That's Awesome! We need more to join the ranks.

From my observations down at the river it seems there was a domination of short liners. They are easy to spot as only about 30 feet of their casts were visible. :hihi:

Congrats to the 2 new Casting Instructors as well! I've never met Mr. Teeple, but Klem is a mighty fine caster......and now a card holding teacher.

The GLX Grease Liners were fun to play with again and that 15/7 Meiz is a neat stick as well. Carron Tourney Lines......Speak for themselves.

Juro, Kush, SpencesBridge, Doug D., J.D. Jones, and the other Long Liners that cast with me (or rather let me cast with them) - Its always fun any way ya slice it. There is always more to learn. Already looking forward to next year!!

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
It was a lot of fun. Good food, good friends and great rods!
Long live the the River Run Clan!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Best Sandy Clave ever!!!

Thanks to Mark, Pattie, Bob, Laura and all the other folks from The Flyfishing Shop who made this the best ever Sandy Clave ever!

I arrived at the campground on the Sunday prior to the Clave and had the campground to myself for two days. Watched Jim Vincent and his film crew filming for a new DVD. The out takes will be a riot!

Mike Kinney arrived Tuesday morning and got to spend a couple of days fishing with him. He has forgotten more about two-handed casting than I'll ever learn! Got to engage with helping him cook baked potatoes wrapped in bacon. A great gentleman!

Thanks to Aaron and all the guys from River Run Anglers for the friendship and great times around the campfire in the evenings. I felt honored to become a member of the "Weight Forward Belly" club, although I am really only a "Short Belly" man at this time. By next year I hope to really be in the "Weight Forward Belly" class.

Thanks Brian for the demo on splicing. You the man!

Thanks Ed for the demo and some great tips on Skagit style.

Good to see you again Grandpa Spey. :)

See all of you again next year.

RPhelps

·
Registered
3 Posts
gerry and i made it back home to twin falls, idaho, late last night. rained all the way.

we felt that the sandy clave was a huge success and a real plus for us, and all who attended. we're kinda out here hanging by ourselves, so a lot came together for us at this fine event. the instruction was magnificient.

a big idaho thank you to all who sponsored and participated, and especially to our gracious hosts at the fly fishing shop. was great to see old friends and meet new ones. a super experience...dale

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Maybe I was too young to be at Woodstock... but I've been to the Sandy River Spey Clave! :smokin:

Thanks all, a fantastic time!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Glad you fellows liked my new Meiser rod.

First time I saw the rod ... even before casting same ... self said to self: YOU MUST OWN THIS ROD!! :saevilw: The I spent a week (with Willie Gunn) with this cannon in my hand lined with aq 9-10 Carrnon line.

What can I add?????

·
Registered
344 Posts
We sure had fun...more fun each year. It's nice to meet new people, put faces to names, and to reacquaint with those I've met in the past. I only wish I had met more of you--I'm surprised already at the number of people I missed meeting!

Some once-or-twice a year relationships are changing from acquaintances to friendships. It's cool, and there are many people I want to see more often--perhaps on the river.

Thanks, of course, to all the organizers and vendors. Without them, there is no Sandy Clave. Beyond them, what makes the event special for us are the many people who love to teach and share. Those of you who share so much--you know who you are, and I thank you.

While I may never be able to adequately repay those who are so helpful and encouraging to my kids, we will remember the many kindnesses shown us, and my hope is that somehow, sometime, we can at least partially return the favors and pass on the legacy of sharing demonstrated by many in the spey community.

--Bill

·
A guy who loves to fish
67 Posts
Better than expected

I wasn't sure what to expect really. I am brand new to the two hand rod and was hoping to pick up a couple of things there at the gathereing. When I say new I mean I had never even cast a two hand rod prior. Unfortunately due to life getting in the way I couldn't arrive until 2 pm, but absolutely everybody was extremely friendly and helpful. I was impressed by the camaraderie shown. I met quite a few people there who greatly shortened my learning curve and hopefully I can repay them someday.

I can't wait for the next one :D

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Ranger Kevin

While it was kinda like Woodstock in a way, the Ranger gave us (River Run Clan) free showers. Maybe he new something? :hihi:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sandy Clave

It was great! We had a lot of our members (North Santiam Spey Casters) show up. We were hopeful that both Klem and Leroy would pass the THCI test. Needless to say, we got our wish. Both had put so much time in the preparation for the test that it would have been a shame if either had failed. Ah, the power of prayer!
I had originally had hoped to get ready to test at the same time but, with only a year with a Spey Rod, it just didn't happen. I did learn a lot watching Dana, Steve , Ward, Simon and company and hope to be ready later on this year.
I'll probably wear out Klem asking him for his guidence.
Stan
The road to Fly Casting Excellance is a never ending journey.
Thanks to all for a great program.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Arrived mid day on Wednesday, went and watched them film for awhile and did some casting. Then went to camp with three guys (great guys; I might add, Aaron; Ray and Mike) and Chief Kinney did a number on some dead beef parts and his famous potatoes.

Next day it was a ruff one; played with different rods and lines and watched George & Dana being filmed (I didn’t know if I was going to make it). Then Chief RPhelps did a number that night; I was even drinking wine and had a cigar (I know I went off the deep end that night).

Friday came and the squirrels arrived, so I went down to the river and casted some more rods and tried more lines. Watched them test the guys and watched some more filming (I just about didn’t make it). Then Chief Kinney did it again (dead cow part thing).

Then the FIRST MEETING of “Weight Forward Belly” Club; enough said.

Then Saturday came first in line for Laura breakfast (don’t you know) then started cast more rods and lines (I would only cast 1 rod an hour, I didn’t want burn out like last year). Then it was lunch time (you know first in line thing); then it was back to casting and BSing. The high light Saturday was watching two young casters (man have they improved). Then 5 o’clock came and the Loomis boys did there job.

Then Saturday Night; the squirrels where out thick. I went camp jumping (those squirrels where every where) too much fun for one night.

Sunday breakfast with Laura (I guess that was a giving) then back to another ruff day of showing rods and casting.

I don’t know how I made it (I mean back home); I was dead tied.

Thanks to all you squirrels out there!
:hihi:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Great time

with some of the best people on the planet!!! :) A fantastic event. And, a great place to pick up some of the little tips that make all the difference. Thanks, Mike Kinney for a tip on using Skagit heads, and a great potato. Thanks Doug for the tip on body rotation to get an almost free boost to the long line.

I am looking forward to bringing my wife next year. She needs a little help in learning to cast the 2-handed rod, and will love to meet some of the ladies.

The only down side is to the bank balance. Bob Meiser has usually come up with a new rod that is in the "must have" class.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Sandy River Super Spey Clave

A big thanks to Mark, Pattie, Bob, Laura and all the other folks who made this the best Sandy Clave ever! It just keeps getting better every year. I even heard talk of pipes & kilts making an appearance next year. (Just kidding Mark. Actually, it was I who started that rumor :razz: )

I even managed to come home with some single malt, only because I couldn't find Camp Squirrel. Hey Andy, I heard you were quite familiar with the campground. :lildevl: Next year maybe I can make it a week long event and camp and even fish! Maybe.

What a great event this is. The shared knowedge, the rods, lines, the malt, the comraderie. It just doesn't get any better than this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This was our first time to the event & it was awesome! Huge thanks to everyone that hosted this event. I too, was amazed at the number of people, camaradery and how friendly everyone was. I am new to spey casting & received great instruction from many, many people. Luckily, I live close to Carnation, I'll be visiting the river run crew for follow up casting lessons! I'm hooked!

Thanks again - great event & we'll be back.

-Kristin

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Thanks

to Mark, Patty, Bob, Laura, others from the shop and the suppliers and their representatives for another great event. So many rods, lines and other equipment I didn't have time to sample all I wanted.

The weekend was capped off when I received a call from Dick Sagara of TFO rods telling me I had won the 12'6" rod. Dick shipped it out to me on Mon. and I received it Tues. in time to take it to the Outdoor School conducted each year by Pioneer School in Shelton, WA. My son teaches 6th grade. We had fun showing the students a little bit about spey casting. Thanks to Dick and TFO for the fine rod.

Rich

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was Sage the only outfit that realized the importance for marketing in bringing a booth babe? I was only there part of Saturday. How can you clave when you could be fishing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dang, I completely missed CND. The crowd generally was a strange kind of geek, overall old bearded fat white men. The booth babes weren't too impressed.

The Sage 8126 really surprised me. I had always been told that those quick action European style rods are difficult for beginners because the timing is more critical with the fast action rods. On some forum I read once that the European style rods were for type A personalities that just have to cast farther than anyone else, even though they may be casting beyond the fish. So I got a trad 13' 6" build on a Lamiglass Blank. But that 8126 flipped casts out effortlessly for me on the grass, at least. The second cast flipped out the whole head and 10 yd.. of running line. Single hand casting was easy with this rod too. It felt just like my 8 wt. 9 ft. steelhead rod. I was the only guy on the grass trying long double haul overhead casts, hooking tailgaters behind me. If I were more on the ball, I would have known that Sage has some light 14 ft.1" European style rods. Days later, thumbing through the catalogs, I wish I would have tried one at the Clave. Maybe the 9141 would be better for me because of the added length for lifting sink tips to the surface.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts