Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you know to Change my 9.5' 7wt rod to switch?

If oyu know some one in Texas that might do it please let me know, or have info on how to do it.

Thanks

Minero

·
Registered
387 Posts
have done it before 3 different ways.

1) Take an old blank section and epoxy it into the existing blank butt end. add a lower handle and beef up the wraps on the female sections to accommodate the expected new twisting and torque. This also comes with some slightly larger strippers (just my preference)

2) ad a lower handle and call it a day. neither are hard and don't take long.

This does NOT change the fact that you have a 9'6" rod, you now just have a 9'6" rod with a longer lower handle that allows you some great flexibility in casting style.

3) you could: strip down the whole rod, find a blank of similar diameter and properties and add a section into the butt, say 12" or so and build the rod over. I have also done this but in the end it has rarely been worth it. Doing this changes the rod dynamics and it rarely does in the end what you hoped for in the beginning to the degree in which you envisioned.

Best of luck!

Eric

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,683 Posts
Why????

Not sure of the reasoning.. Seems much more simplistic to look for bargins or a used switch

Who do you know to Change my 9.5' 7wt rod to switch?

If oyu know some one in Texas that might do it please let me know, or have info on how to do it.

Thanks

Minero

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have done it before 3 different ways.

This does NOT change the fact that you have a 9'6" rod, you now just have a 9'6" rod with a longer lower handle that allows you some great flexibility in casting style.

Best of luck!

Eric

Eric,

You just nail it, that is exactly what I want it for, great flexibility.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Minero,

The search engine on this forum will lead to a ton of info on switch conversions.

2handedtrout.com also has a lot of info.

Steve Godshall (SPG) on this forum, [email protected] has done quite a few conversions and he can also build you lines to match the rod. One of my favorites is a Scott S3 that is my go-to rod for SR Cutts and Browns. Steve is a super nice guy and scary smart. Drop him an email and I'm sure he can answer your questions.

Two pics of my Scott attached.

Enjoy The Spey Journey,
sixheads

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, as I am right now working in Argentina and deep south in Patagonia, will be doing the conversion my self looked how to make it, will give it a try and not wait toll I get back.

Thanks

Adrian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts