Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody has their own version of how to cast, and i appreciate that.

Mine is akin to a drunken blind animal with cloven hooves. (you get the idea)

Who do you follow as a guide? I did a casting clinic with Jeff Putnam a year or so back and really enjoyed his style, and find that everyone has minor tweaks to how they cast. I took what he showed me and have come up with my own way which is clearly worse than what he taught me. I see some videos in my future to review and some water time to practice this weekend.

Who do you take after?

·
Hacker
561 Posts
Probably the coyote trying to hit the roadrunner with that big mallet. All over the place and never where I want! On a more serious note, I think the OP has hit on something. I learned from a great guy on the Clearwater. Decided to take a lesson the following year at a famous fly shop and the guy was telling me what I learned before was crap. He was also a jerk but that is beside the point. It gets really confusing very fast if you think there is only one way that is correct.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I was a pretty good caster for some time. I would emulate the late greats like The Skagitmeister and others but after right shoulder surgery and left elbow surgery Im probably more like MrT mentioned above. I clod my way along the riverbank scaring the bajezus out of everything with an adipose fin. ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used to think about an old you tube video of Mike Kinney to try and set my tempo. Some of it’s in sorta slo-mo, some of it not, but none of it’s in a hurry, a good style to emulate.
I also spent a few hours taking a lesson from Jeff Putnam a few years ago, and got a great “re-build” of my shaky foundation. His style looks very cool, almost sidearm with the loop legs horizontal to each other. Very pointy. I’ll throw of few of those sometimes just to see if I can, but I can’t do that all day.
When I played a lot of golf, I used to “emulate” Ernie Els’ swing, again for tempo. Oddly, I don’t ever recall someone saying, “You know, you swing just like Ernie Els...”
Jed

·
Registered
280 Posts
My casting style is probably “drunk man swatting at mosquitos with a stick”. But it gets the job done, somehow.

I’ve known Jeff Putnam for over 30 years, and he is one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet, fly fishing or no. I took a lesson from him a couple of years ago, along with a friend. My friend was new to casting, I just wanted to learn how to better cast skandi / touch and go. Jeff instead decided to fix my casting faults. I was finally able to integrate some of what he taught me into my ugly style and eventually did become a better caster, but Jeff’s fixes screwed me up for most of that shad season until I finally settled back into a groove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts