Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
white death

Dana said:
Does anyone use white flies for steelhead?
yes yes yes! It is basically a white bugger, marabou tail, clear or holo estez wrapped for the body,, schlappen palmered over the body with a couple of extra turns at the head. quite often a turn or two of red or pink hackle at the very front...... I just about always use a TMC 9395 sz 2 or 4 hook.. The inline hookeye allows the minner pattern to swim and glide more like a living fish than a down or upturned eye would... If I want alot of bulk and movement, I use swan flank feather in place of schlappen.. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
for winters

but i have some `willow' hairwings `at ready' for summers in tiny twelve doubles;) ,tried to move a pic. of one of the winter beasties and upload it but,,,won't go,:confused: ,suffice to say it's not a bright white,Yak hair(if i remember correctly) is what the hand ground`dubbin' is based on so it's a `dirty white' complemented with white peacock featherwing/hackle/tail,easy to tie with min. materials involved but the `cast' is the same>all off-white materials,i also tie his brother=all dark peacock with dark matching dubbin for winters,,summers i use a bit more `sparkle' for body mat. and some contrasting `additions',,but,,finding a fish's nose is what counts eh!?;)

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Dana,

Knudsen tied and used his WHITE MARABOU and WHITE FEATHERWING STREAMERS for winter steelhead a lot. These flies were always tied on very large hooks by Knudsen (#2/0-#7/0 3xl Carlisle hooks) and were all white except for a bit of silver tinsel ribbing and a red schlappen or very large red Chinese neck hackle as a collar.

Seems I heard about a fellow who lives in one of the "S" river valleys tying something very similar to Knudsen's white streamer that has something to do with the police and said fly is claimed to be great for winter steelhead.

·
Registered
283 Posts
White muddlers are my go-to fly on the Bonaventure, especially during periods of blue-bell skies. It's pretty cool to watch fish move 30 even 40 feet to run one of those down.

Another white fly that I use in Gaspe and on the GL is Marc LeBlanc's Jones Special. Again, in clear water and blue skies fish will move incredible distances to this fly.

White, or flies that incorporate white, are underutilized in our [modern] fishing.

-Chris

·
chrome-magnon man
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
flytyer said:
Dana,

Knudsen tied and used his WHITE MARABOU and WHITE FEATHERWING STREAMERS for winter steelhead a lot.
That's one of the reasons I asked the question actually. I was reading through one of my old steelheading books and saw these flies again, and wondered why white flies weren't more popular. The Gaspe trip helped reinforce this of course.

Didn't Joe Butorac tie a white or whitish fly called the Rag or something like that, too?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Dana,

Yes, Joe did tie a nealy all white fly he called the RAG. I'm not certain of the dressing of it; but I think it was tied with white marabou, silver and pearl Krystal Flash, and a teal collar. Unfortunately, since Joe died a few years ago I can't simply talk to him and get the dressing (I miss seeing him and talking to him).

Hopefully, someone has a copy of the fly or knows the exact dressing because, like I mentioned, I'm not sure of it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Al Knudsen

of course my `namesake fly' `Hammer' or `Al's Yellow Hammer',lot's to talk about!,,i went to grade school in Medford Oregon with a kid named Rusty Knudsen,ended up he was a Park Ranger at Indian Mary Campground while he attended college(my dad used to camp there every fall for a week=steelheading),he told me back in the early 60's,his grandpa was a big time fishing guy,(appprox. the third grade i never heard of such a thing at the time in my young life:confused: ),now,if his grandfather was Al Knudsen of fly tying/fishing fame or not,,,:confused:,,there IS an eyeblistering all yellow May that hatches midriver here,he lived here in the thirties,he must have seen those bugs,tied an elaborate steelhead version to catch the anglers(my belief only of course ;) ),,,and;his flies work!:hihi:
Some of the first winter fish i hooked up here were on the`wet spider' flies i copied,,from Trey's books of course ,the `streamers',heck!,,i used them up chasing lockjaw coho last year:tsk_tsk: so in my guilt and shame of not following thru pursuing the legendary Rogue Winter Run with his streamer patterns as written in `The Bible",i'll offer up some fodder for all this fine evening:smokin: ,,if you read the patterns in Trey Combs book that's where the legend ,lore,and of course the inspiration comes to try the `old stuff' ,,easy for me to envision and chase since i live where quite a few of the patterns were used succesfully ,,of course i wonder if there were way more fish then (sure there was,but ARE the fish any different today in what they see?),,,only if one tries will they find out!,of course he wrote of tying the streamers in `ever smaller patterns for the Rogue Summers'much smaller than shown in the book as i tied perfect copys=size one(not the maribu version)
If you have a copy of Trey Combs `Steelhead flyfishing and Flies',,the pattern section to me is WAY more valuable than the rest of the book, when i read about `Ike Towers Silver Ant' and the when ,where and what runs he cought fish with it,NOW we have something!,i had a big boiling rant about the flies Harry Lemire tied for the book,none of it bad!,,but i'll quickly say that my belief is he hurredly tied flies he did not nec use or believe in for Trey,(maybe the fish`were in':hihi: ),,,other side of the coin=Lemire is a super tier,,,my hats off to him for contributing,:D,read the pattern section!~some~ of the flies shown are NOT tied as `buggy' as i would recomend they should look like=CAPISH!:confused: ,so,,there's a mega Rogue rant worth,mmmmm,2.2 cents US:chuckle:

·
Registered
340 Posts
The yellow hammer (aka yellar hammer) is a trout fly that originated in the area of the Smoky Mtns of Tenn /NC , perhaps a hundred years plus ago, and was fashioned from the wing feathers of he bird called the yellow hammer (thus the name)..fwiw.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have peeked into Mr Kinney's flybox as well as other Jedi and as a result you will find large white-rabbit string leeches in my winter/spring flybox :lildevl:

·
Administrator
17,358 Posts
Dana,
Looking through my fly boxes reveal white stoneflies in different sizes.Stoneflies in their nymphal stage go through what is known as an instar(discard their exoskeleton in order to grow).Chromers in the greatlakes basin key in on these nymphs in rivers with large quantities of stoneflies of the genis chloroperlidae and perlodidae.--RIVERKEEPER--

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.