Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While not one of my two handed bamboo trout rod builds, I thought I would post something different. A 7'10" 3/2 2/3wt bamboo rod. This rod was built on a Garrison inspired taper that noted maker Wayne Cattanach and I discussed years and years ago.

The cane I used to build this rod was a gift from another noted maker, John Bradford. This rod was designed to make short casts on small creeks, with a light line, say less than 30ft. I used this rod on beaver ponds in Colorado for brook trout up to 17" on dry flies and for swinging small soft hackles on smaller streams. The rod is also nice for fishing midges in the late fall to selective fish. I think this rod would be fun on the Firehole.

Details are as follows:

Finished in a "Catskill" style
Tempered cane
Light moss green wraps with antique gold accent tipping with chrome light wire guides with a snake guide used as the stripper
Highly figured fiddle back maple cap and ring reel seat.
6" cigar grip
Bright truncated size 9 and 13 super swiss ferrules
Red linen rod sock
Black foam core rod tube for light travel.

Rod has a slower fuller flexing progressive character. Works well with standard 2wt to 3wt lines depending on your preference and length of cast. I like it as a 2wt.

Hope you enjoy.

·
Undertaker
1,367 Posts
Oh, go ahead, break the rules - if you are going to post something that f-ing pretty. Nice little rod. Made me recall walking into Craig Park, Co. with my 7 foot Feralite so many years ago. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,491 Posts
I might not be a two hander but there are huge points for bamboo. Thats one sexy piece of gear.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The stripling effect is actually an illusion. Something with the lighting caused it. However, you can produce this effect with a tight pencil flaming process.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The stripling effect is actually an illusion. Something with the lighting caused it. However, you can produce this effect with a tight pencil flaming process.
I know PHY had a mottling effect on some of his rods which were quite subtle and very attractive, but the effect on those photos seemed to suggest it was much more regular than any bamboo which had this effect by design.
Some of my James Reid bamboos have this mottling on them, though quite random, and as far as I'm aware it has to be done at the flaming stage, it can't be done as an after effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts