Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys here is the deal.
I have decided to start taping my students.
So which is it.
I have gotten advice for the a Video crew and they said not be cheap.
They also said the get on with a Mini-DV.
The two they recommended was the Cannon Gl-2 and Cannon XL1s.

I need to know what you use and how you like them

:confused:

·
Registered
200 Posts
UBID

www.ubid.com

I've bought many of my electronics there the past year. Check out brands in local stores, then watch the auctions on UBID for an opportune time to pick up a great deal.

All items are business overstock or reconditioned and guaranteed, so no hassles like with private sellers.

I've gotten fabulous deals on cameras, PCs, and picked up a factory reconditioned digital camcorder on there for $240 that listed at over $700 (confirmed this by checking prices at Best Buy and Circuit City).

Good Idea Speybum - nothing like seeing the good and bad of your casting on film to help iron out the kinks.

DS

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have never shot either of them, but your advisors are certainly free with your $$$$.

Given that either of these cameras is capable of broadcast quality video, I think it really comes down to whether or not you already have an investment in EOS lenses. If you do, you might want to consider the XL-1 body. If you have no intention of using changeable EOS lenses, I can't imagine that the GL-2 wouldn't do the job for you. If you get GL2, make cerain to get the new one with the Flourite lens.

You can rent these cameras by the day or week in any major city and I highly recommend that you do before you plunk down that kind of cash on technology you are not familiar with, ( Regardless of friends advice.) Don't forget to budget money for all the other stuff you will need like remote mikes, tripods, lighting, batteries and chargers, etc..

I have always had good luck buying from B & H, the largest Canon & Nikon dealer in North America:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=1881

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think what you need to do is hit the pawn shops. Thats where you can find one of those really old really big sit on your shoulder cams. You know the ones that take two hands. I hear the two handers are making a hell of a come back..

I find my new Cannon ZR65 MC to be overwhelmingly complex. Recording on a mini DVD would be a bit more simple.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I have always had good luck buying from B & H,he largest Canon & Nikon dealer in No

Joan and I have purchsed several cameras from 35mm to two different video formats, and she's on her 3'rd or 4th electronic camera.

All have been form B and H. Excellent to work with, even over the telephone. Rather doubt you could ever beat their prices, save for someone 'dumping' last years equipment.'

Aaron, also hit their web site as they have a lot of reconditioned/trade in equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts