Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I lost my Loop Blackline 11'..." #7/8 at the bottom of the river after a scary unvoluntary dive while I was fishing from rocks...
Now, I'd like to buy a real double handed rod to fish underhand cast the kind of river you'll see on the pics at the end pf the post. I'll also fish much smaller rivers (18 to 25 metres wide).
I definitely want to focus on salmon fishing (used to fish sea trout a little with the Loop Blackline) and I'll fish during the summer (July and August), mainly. The fish won't be big and won't be numerous (Atlantic, south west of France).
My main motivation is to practise underhand cast which is a real beauty and pleasure in itself. Great if a fish hooks itself :)
So, knowing that I'd like a Loop or a Scierra (the HMS rods are said to be quite good yet difficult to find here...Scierra.com), and that I'd rather go for a light rod if possible, which rod(s) would you suggest in such conditions?
I was considering the late Loop Blueline 11'6" feet #7/8 which I can still find here... perhaps a bit to weak and short for the rivers (see pics), even in summer ...? I really don't know: never fished salmon, only sea trout... And I insist on underhand casting.
Well, thanks in advance for your suggestions :wink:
Here are the pics (I'm not the guy on the photo, of course; lucky one!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for your advice. :) Does anyone happen to know the Scierra HMS ?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Is it similar to the LOOP? :lildevl:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Henrik Mortensen designed the HMS for Scierra...and he used to work for Loop (hence :lildevl: I suppose... :chuckle: )
I haven't read any review or test on the Net. The guy seems rather gifted so I suppose the rods were well designed and he probably made Scierra benefit from the experience of Loop in tackle design... But I'd really like to hear from someone owning and using one. Heard or read sthg about those rods?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Closp,

I compared once a HMS 11 ft #8 with a Loop 11,6 ft #7. According to my opinion the HMS was too stiff and too fast. The loop make more, more, more joy. The workmanship of the Scierra is better in the comparison to loop, but that implement of underhand casts is more beautiful with an loop Rod.

Have you seen the new video from Henrik Mortensen :Eyecrazy: ? The perfect cast.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi!
Yes, I actually watched the video a week ago ! Very interesting for someone like me who lives in a country where underhand cast is unknown (and where very few people fish salmon or even sea trout on the fly, whatever the type of rod). Not complete (there should be two more videos + a book in 2005) though; but quite interesting and motivating. Well filmed as far as I can tell - meaning the pictures help understand the cast ...
I have just gathered more information about the rivers I'd like to fish and it appears that a rod #7/8 should do the trick quite well in summer (in spring it could be too weak); waters have been rather low in summer in France those last years. Of course it must be easier to learn underhand cast with a 12/13 feet (8/9) rod, I suppose one feels the line and the rod working better...but I'm used to fishing light whatever the fish and method. An #8/9 like the ones advised in the previous posts would be quite sensible a choice but I'm afraid it'll spoil the pleasure on "small" fish; moreover, it is very likely that even though fishing for salmon I will hook a sea trout (sewin) for they are much more numerous that salmon in our waters; I'd like to enjoy the fight on a sea trout too if it happens to take the fly and I I fear a #8/9 would be too strong to enjoy the fight a little... I don't really know since I've never hooked a sea trout on a #8/9 so I can't tell the feeling...
Hum, difficult choice...
:roll:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Closp,

what size of flies do you want to fish? In scandinavia and north germany are more large flies (size 2-8) used for this fishery, that’s also important for the line class of your next rod.
I think you have good joy with an #8 doublehander for these art of see trout fishing.

Henning

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,
for salmon in summer in France they use n° 3 to n°8 or 10 flies, depending on the level of water; for sea trout they usually use n°4 and more often 6 (Medicine fly for ex) in low water (which is often the case in July and August)...
On the one hand I'd like to fish light tackle BUT on the other hand I want to be able to cast correctly and easily the flies of the appropriate weight...
Well well...Sure it would be stupid to have too light tackle that can't do the job...
When you say #8 double hander do you mean 7/8 (11 feet and so) or 8/9 (12 feet to 13 feet)?
Thanks a lot for your help; since I'll only be able to buy one rod, salmon in summer being my primary objective, I'd better think twice... Have you also experienced the fight of a sea trout on a 8/9 # rod ? Did you feel it was fun ? In that case I would go for the 8/9, that would probably be more sensible...
Thanks in advance for your answers !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Balckline/Blueline ?

I forgot: is there an important difference between the Blackline 8/9 and the Blueline 8/9 (action, weight) ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Closp,

I will recommend you a true #8 (ASA8) in 12 to 12,5 ft. The Loop blue line LBL 8124-4 were perfect for this fishing and you have absolute enough joy to play smaller sea trout.

I forgot: is there an important difference between the Blackline 8/9 and the Blueline 8/9 (action, weight) ?
It is a step forward from Blackline to Blueline, the rod blank is finer and better engineered. Is there no tackle dealer where you can test some rods and lines?

Henning

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello,

yes, I think I could manage and test one; the dealer's a bit far from where I live - quite another town and part of the country but I could manage that. It'd be the best I suppose though it wouldn't probably tell me that much, being a beginner à underhand cast and not being able to compare the action ... That 's why I intend to rely on the advice of you guys :wink: who have some experience and have tested the stuff. Yes, the LBL 8124-4 is available here and will most certainly do the trick. I think I'll settle on this one and order it.
Well, many thanks to Henning and all the others for their help! I'll keep in touch: I'll probably have plenty of new questions to ask in the coming weeks ! :)
Bye!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts