Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys which style do you think would catch more fish? Dee, or Spey?
I tried to tie the staple fly of each, Akroyd Dee fly in orange, and a Lady Caroline Spey fly also in orange.
Open to criticisms and any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Not to be glib, but probably the one you fish with more confidence - and frequency. They both look great to me.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I fish both those styles and catch fish on both. And although I can't put my finger on it, there are certain river conditions, runs, current speeds where I will choose one style over the over.

One example: the tailout of a wide pool I like to use a Dee wing instead of the Spey because I envision the Dee fly tracking like an airplane with those wings as it comes across :smokin:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Both are very well dressed flies and the Akroyd is especially stunning. Id probably reach for that one for no other reason.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice flies.
If I were fishing them for Atlantic Salmon, I would fish the Spey pattern first, then if I got a pull or a rise I would switch off to the Dee fly. You will almost be certain to get a take.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'd happily fish both. Very nice ties! Don't ignore the original "Lady" body colours for steelhead in general, and spring-fall fish in particular. Something about the Lady Caroline that I always loved.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Not to be too analytical, but........

if a steelie has it in his little bitty brain to take one, he'd take the other equally as fast. Even on a slow swing, a fish is only gonna have about 5 seconds to make up his/her mind. Both those flies being wicked good, they'd both get smacked!

They're both great looking swingers, and I'd happily tie either on the business end of my rod!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts