Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in purchasing a reel to balance off my Loop Blue 14'er. I've narrowed it down to either the Danielsson HD 9-13 or 11-14. I am assuming that one of these should balance the rod. Which one of these is the better fit.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Great choice

...............the Loop Blue is great choice,I fish it in a couple of different lengths. On the 14' I use my Van Staal,it weighs 9.5 oz.,and balances well. I wouldn't go with a reel that was any lighter,another ounce or so heavier wouldn't hurt. You can move your hand closer to the reel if the reel is a touch to heavy,but moving your hand on to the blank because the reel is too light is a little odd. The Danielsson is a great choice,and Ron Larsen is a wonderful man to deal with.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
The HD 9-13 ( 10oz) will balance your 14 ‘ rod perfectly !. The lighter LW 8-12 ( 7oz) is a good match for the 13’ rod.

HD 11-14 ( 11.5 z) will be to much for 14'.

Salmo

G

·
However, if you're using a line that has a reasonably long head, either Mid-Spey/Delta Long or the Grand Spey/XLT type extended belly lines you'll appreciate the extra capacity of the 11fourteen. I haven't found 1.5oz to be enough of a difference in weight to make my decision strictly on that alone. If you're only going to throw shorthead lines or shooting heads then the 9thirteen will be fine for you and it is a better size for much of the saltwater fishing for which it could also find use. At one time, I personally used the 11fourteen with my Blue 14' and found it more than acceptable as far as balance.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
As far as capacity, the 9-13 will take Rio MidSpey 8/9 and 180 y of #30 lb dacron with some clearance left. For longer then 65' head the 11-14 is definitely more appropriate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. It sounds like either reel will suffice. I am a relative newbie to spey fishing and I've only used short head lines to start out. Eventually I might end up using the longer head lines once I get the hang of it. That being the case it sounds like the 11-14 is the reel that I should go with correct? Let me ask this question- fishing the rivers of the Great Lakes specifically Lake Ontario (the Salmon, Catt, Niagara, Genesee) does it make sense to use a long head line or are these waters too small for that? With that type of question you can see that I am a rookie. Any additional input is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
There is only a few places on Salmon River when you could use, if you really want Mid Belly line like MS ( 65” head). The river can be cover very efficiently with WIndCutter ( 54’ head) and particularly shorter shooting heads. Genesee is a bigger river, but no needs i my opinion for lines with head longer then 65'.
I have not fished Niagara River.

Salmo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts