Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Ok this may seem obvious to most but I'm a newbie spey fisher and spent most of my single-handed time dead-drifting...

Question. Given a typical run or pool has a deep channel on one side of the river (e.g. outside bend) which side of the river do you stand on and fish?

It seems like most spey fishing methods are down (or at best quartering up) and then swing across. Therefore is the fishing zone seems to be the side closer to the fisher as the fly swings back towards the standing fisher. Which makes me wonder. Should I be standing on the deep water side where your dangle will still be effectively fishing the channel? Or vice versa?

I would think standing on the shallow bank side wouldn't be very effective once your fly starts swinging as it leaves the deep channel and then dangles in the less productive shallow water...

Thoughts?

Preston

·
Registered
215 Posts
With a pool like that on this side of the Atlantic, I would always go with the conventional wisdom, which is to fish it from the shallow side.

Of course, this assumes that you are fishing a swung fly down-and-across, as is the usual method for us. I cannot comment on other methods such as dead drifting.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
well you had to expect it - the answer is "it depends". The fish may not be holding in the deep water. Often the deep slot against a bank is really ripping but between the deepest part and the shallow water there is a soft spot where the fish hang out. If fishing from the deep side you may not be able to control the swing through this soft water as the current closer to you is moving much faster.

Also depends on how wide the run is and can you effectively fish the holding water from the shallow side vs from the fast side.

If you are hi sticking and the deep run is the fish holding water then I think I would normally opt to fish it from the deep side and keep my casts short.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Talkin' with the fishes...

In my experience it depends on where the fish are, and that too can change depending on conditions. Colder water will drive fish to softer currents, but high sun and or people/boat/bird traffic will slide them back into deeper stuff.

If you can safely do it, I'd suggest trying both sides and sorting out the results. Won't know unless you try, eh?
Carl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts