Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have my ticket to Mongolia, where I hope to catch - or at least to fish for - some taimen&Co.(If my bosses agree to miss me for two weeks...)
I have the mentioned rod, and I would like to be prepared with the appropriate line system there...I feel, taimen IS a good subject to test the rod on.
So what kind of shooting heads (and running line combos) do you recommend? I heard good things about Guideline PT, heads... :confused:

I'm considering to take this rod for a few reasons: because it allows me to throw gerbil-sized flies with ease, and the -hoped- size of the fish.
I experimented with it a bit for pike last year, and I was amazed how easy was throwing those big bunnies.The same time the rod feels lively, and not stiff at all.I just tried my 9wt Teeny - spey shooting head, looped on a Teeny running line, and casted mainly OH. While it works, I feel there must be a better combination.
Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
201 Posts
Peter, on that rod for overhead casting, I like heads of 36-37' in either 12 or 13-weight. Alternatively, you can experiemnt with the new Rio WScandinavian heads in 8/9 or 9/10 weight.

The DH 1212-3 was designed around standard WF12 shooting heads, not spey heads.

I hope you enjoy the trip and let us know how you do with the Taimen.

Jay Horton

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jay,

I know that the rod was designed for OH casts, and the Eu-dealer sells the RIO stuff also, so I'll try some heads.
My trip going to be in June, I have time to prepare myself...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts