Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to possibly buy a 3WT switch rod. I have narrowed the search down to 2 different rods. The Echo SR3106 at 10'6" 4 piece for 329.99 or the Mystic M 3113-4 at 11'3" 4 piece for 479.00. I have only seen an wiggled the Mystic. I am not sure how either rod actually cast. I am wanting the rod for trout as well as white bass and possibly smallmouth. Which one would you buy and why? Thanks.

·
registered text offender
1,332 Posts
150 less, should be a no brainer. especially if you cant cast it first YOURSELF. also if you might cast single handed, shorter is ALWAYS better (for the elbow).
echo has great warranty service too. always better to be disappointed with a lower price rod :wink2:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I go to the local fly shop and ask them to either get demos for both rods. They shouldn't have a problem with that! I bought a TFO a couple years ago but REALLY wanted to cast it first. The local shop didn't have one in and called TFO. The dude there, can't remember his name, was out of demos for the rod I wanted to try so he just sent a brand new rod over to the shop with the instructions: "Just let him take it out and fish it for a little while"... I ended up buying the rod after a day with her...

Echo should be more than willing to get a rod sent over for you to try! If not, then that's the type of customer service you'll be dealing with throughout the life of the rod... Just my $.02

Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I owned an ECHO SR 3106 - a super fun little rod, but the tip is very delicate. True story - I ordered one online from a reputable fly shop - the tip section was broken, right in the plastic slip the new ones come in. Called Echo (who are great about this type of thing BTW), and they send a new tip section out - broken - again fresh from the factory in the plastic. Again about 2 inches from the tip. Well the Echo people are perturbed to say the least, they send me TWO tips sections the next day, and this time they check. Those tips were fine. I suppose any rod of that weight will have a delicate tip, but this seems more like a factory issue. Just be sure to check when you buy. Probably they have dealt with whatever issue there was by now.

Loved the rod, very fun with a 5wt ambush line, and overhead with a 5wt trout line. But loved my little Meiser switch rod more, so I let it go.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mystic

I had some interest in a Mystic 3 wt, and contacted a shop that carried them. They did not have one in stock, but the Mystic company offered to send me one to try. I did not take them up on the offer, but that might be an option.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. i was not sure if there was a big difference between the two rods.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I purchased the Mystic 3wt and 4wt when they were introduced... also own the Echo 3wt.
Last year sold off the Mystic rods.

There is a huge difference,,,, the Mystic is very soft in the tip and takes lines under 2wt (180gr Scandi), the Echo is a true 3wt in the spey line ratings.

If you like the Mystic rods I recommend the 4wt which actually takes lines in the 2wt range,,, try Scandi of 210gr and it casts very nicely.

The Echo is an outstanding rod design and likes 3wt spey lines,,, Scandi 240gr and really works well with the new ultra short Skagit lines from RIO and OPST.

If you intend to cast some of the larger flies for bass and smallmouth the new ultra short Skagit lines are excellent and work best with a stiffer tip rod design.

Regards,
FK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts