Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Spey Is The Way
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in New Brunswick, Canada and spey rods are not used much by the local people. I have wanted to try one for years and the only way it is going to happen is if I buy one, I know of no one local with one. Due to reasons of local avaiablity I am going to try one of the St. Croix's. I have never had a spey rod in my hand, it will be used for atlantic salmon and I want to spey cast not over head cast. Which rod and line would you recomend? I do have Derek Brown's video. Thank you for any help.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Leo M...

Unlesss your rivers are pretty small I would get the 14'-9/10. I would line it with a Delta Long 8/9 or a MidSpey 8/9/. If my memory serves me right we talked about this before and you liked SA products. In that case I would get an SA Mastery Spey (64' head) line in 8/9.

·
Spey Is The Way
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MJC-Yes we did talk about this 2 years ago. I got into some other things but I am a salmon fisherman at heart. So here I am back at this spey thing. The US/CDN exchange hurts on a rod but I can afford a fly line from Cabellas so it dosen't have to be a SA line which I could get local. I read very good things about Airflo and am leaning that way. Looked at the post from 2 years ago and was told a mid? spey would be better than a long? spey. I think those are the right terms. Having said that, any more advice?

peter-s-c Do I want the Delta Long or the Delta?

Thanks again, I realy appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
wullf line

a triangle taper Wullf speyline,,,they've changed the designations over the years,but look for a seventy ft. head,WAS rated a ten at one time,they also rate the 80 ft. head that,,,at some point,now it's the `11'=?,,but pulease,,try a wullf triangle on the rod,i won't badmouth any other line but i tried at leaast one that was mentioned,unless you're in a wheelchair and only cast 30 ft. don't bother!,the st.croix IS quite usable,,light tip,medium taper,and `sort' of a magnum butt,i'd fish one anytime,but not if overlined,then i'd walk away,they turn into a noodle quick if you overline them,,,just my 02',redshed sells wullf's,and has the specs as per wt.,,,, :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
sorry

i was posting concerning the 14's,,i had a pair of them,,,THAT is why i've owned twenty two-handers since then,i overlined the first one badly,,did i say badly :chuckle: ,yes!,,,you can figure the wt. comparisons on various lines,,it's the grains,any line within a given range should work :)

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Leo,

There is a shop here in Halifax that carries some equipment. P.M. me or call 902-474-3006 & I'll give you contact details.

I started with a St. Croix rod, and have since aquired Loop equipment. I use my rod for the larger rivers in NS as well as Miramichi, and Quebec Rivers. It really shines in the Autumn when throwing sink tips. I paired my rod with a multi-tip line from Rio, and it's a good combination.

Hope this works out for you.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts