Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would you recommend a visiting angler from Europe to go fishing in the country? I normally fish for Atlantic salmon, but am open to all suggestions and various species in the planning of an overseas trip. Would it be B.C, or perhaps East coast rivers ,or Vancouver island.
What direction would you advice ,and what time of year?

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
There are WAY too many options. You are going to get a dozen or more different responses here and all will be equally great so you should probably narrow down what you want to do.

For instance, dry lines with dry flies and skaters or big uglies with heavy sinking lines? Big fish or lots of fish? Nice weather or standing in freezing water being drenched in soaking rain? Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter? Atlantics or Pacifics? Or heck, trout on dry flies?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would probably be from May to end of September, a floating line approach would be nice with ordinary flies, however I've read various threads and know the methods and approach are different to what I normally use , Im familiar with shooting heads etc , fish on our side will normally rise to the fly.(sink tip being enough)
I'M looking a salmon fishing holiday, the various species seem to run at different times. What would be your choice?'

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
More than a bit of truth to this.

There are WAY too many options. You are going to get a dozen or more different responses here and all will be equally great so you should probably narrow down what you want to do.

For instance, dry lines with dry flies and skaters or big uglies with heavy sinking lines? Big fish or lots of fish? Nice weather or standing in freezing water being drenched in soaking rain? Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter? Atlantics or Pacifics? Or heck, trout on dry flies?
But for 'best odds,' just a question of time of the year, think "Pacific Northwest." Dozens of rivers in BC, Washington and Oregon. If you had to 'pick one' Oregon would/could be your choice. Get off the airplane in Portland and head 20 miles east to the Sandy River.

Head west and one small river after another (flowing into the Columbia River) until you hit the Coast. Turn South ... Again, one river after another but runs are dependent upon the time of the year. Hit Brookings, Oregon (Chetco River) and about 30'ish miles south you have the bottom end of the Smith River in Nor-Cal.

You could spend close to three weeks in Oregon and never fish the same river twice. :smokin:

fae

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
Would probably be from May to end of September, a floating line approach would be nice with ordinary flies, however I've read various threads and know the methods and approach are different to what I normally use , Im familiar with shooting heads etc , fish on our side will normally rise to the fly.(sink tip being enough)
I'M looking a salmon fishing holiday, the various species seem to run at different times. What would be your choice?'
June through September is prime time for Atlantic Salmon in the Maritimes and Quebec. Fishing can be very much the same as you are used to in Ireland with the addition that from mid June, typically, through the back end of the season the bomber fishing can really be the way to fish. This is best done with single-handed rods, dead drifting these flies. Its a really exciting way to fish, if not exactly 'spey'.

Bear in mind that the rivers on this side of the Atlantic, with a few exceptions, get FAR, FAR fewer fish running than those on your side. Most of the Gaspesie rivers, for instance, are lucky to get 1500 fish TOTAL in a year returning. These returns in most of the rivers, however, are only about 10% grilse with many of them being 3 or 4 sea winter fish in the 20lb and 30lb class (and even bigger in some cases....).

With more money to spend, some really interesting possibilities open up for Atlantic Salmon...

The tail end of that time frame, August and September, is good for dry lining steelhead on the West Coast. Others here will have more experience with this than me, but river like the Deschutes, North Umpqua, and other, lesser-known waters will be getting summer steelehad. These fish are smaller fish, not the giant winter fish, but they are still a blast. Were it me, Id be looking into the North Umpqua and possibly a few others. The Grande Ronde, one Ive some experience on, is another great river, but this is typically best through October.

Then you have BC -- tons of options there. Alaska -- tons of options here, also, for Pacific Salmon of all types, in that time frame.

Really, there is so much to consider that you are really going to have narrow it down. Price, as Pork mentions, is a factor, also.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd certainly not limit my fishing to Atlantic salmon, and indeed think my sport would be with the other numerous species, a week's fishing at $4500 guided fishing meals ,accommodation etc, where or what would that get me.?

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
That would get you quite a lot. You are lucky in that your currency is so strong vs the Canadian and US dollars. Im always wincing every year when Im over on your side.

Were I you, Id look into the following:

Skeena system in BC for steelhead during September or Alaska any time in your specified range (youll be able to fish any Pacific Salmon of your choosing, save Steelhead, in that time period).

Plenty of other people here can probably put you on to more specific options. Were you wanting to do-it-yourself, my suggestions would be quite different.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would get you quite a lot. You are lucky in that your currency is so strong vs the Canadian and US dollars. Im always wincing every year when Im over on your side.

Were I you, Id look into the following:

Skeena system in BC for steelhead during September or Alaska any time in your specified range (youll be able to fish any Pacific Salmon of your choosing, save Steelhead, in that time period).

Plenty of other people here can probably put you on to more specific options. Were you wanting to do-it-yourself, my suggestions would be quite different.

Cheers,

Mike[/QUOTEAlthough a D I Y trip maybe cheaper, I'd hate to arrive on my own and perhaps struggle with knowledge of country,access to river location , licences , accommodation etc, I'd certainly like to do it D IY, but am not sure what path to follow,

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd go to Alaska. All the pacific salmon in that time frame. What species you want to chase will dictate what time you go.

And you can fish for giant rainbows with mouse patterns.

http://vimeo.com/106022738

I fished for rainbows on the Kenai years ago. There are some seriously large rainbow trout in Alaska.

I just want to say. I don't have any connection with guides or lodges. This is just what I'd do if I could afford a big trip.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd certainly not limit my fishing to Atlantic salmon, and indeed think my sport would be with the other numerous species, a week's fishing at $4500 guided fishing meals ,accommodation etc, where or what would that get me.?
legacy lodge at rivers inlet, BC for saltwater coho or silver salmon is about as far from traditional UK Salmon flyfishing as you can get, so i'd go for it.

its on my bucket list :smokin:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree with Speysowa. I would head to Alaska. If you hit it right, you could catch multiple species of salmon, massive rainbow trout, grayling and dollies. All in the same day! A few years back I was lucky enough to get a week long trip with one of the well known fishing camps and it was probably the single best week of fishing that I have ever had. Used both double hand and single hand rods. Floating and sinking lines. Caught more fish than I would ever need to catch. But spent most of my time targeting kings so there was still a challenge.

·
registered text offender
1,336 Posts
research your region, and especially any lodge or outfitter to be sure your not fishing in the midst of a sh!t show. be clear w/ anyone you talk to how you prefer to fish. dont be sucked in. try to stay away from the canned experience, no matter where you go. cant beleive noone has mentioned ard. he is a sponsor and a real angler. pm hardyreels here. do alaska right.
edit, ard's service is life on the line

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
A +1 for hiring Ard.

Good Guy and he knows the river's he fishes like 'the back of his hand.':smokin:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys thanks for the replies, a trip to BC ,guided has been offered staying at Deep Creek Lodge , fully guided and all gear / tackle etc provided by guide.
Early September being recommended.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
As totally ....

Guys thanks for the replies, a trip to BC ,guided has been offered staying at Deep Creek Lodge , fully guided and all gear / tackle etc provided by guide.
YES!:smokin: That said, still think about the "Ard Connection."

fae

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

Curious who is doing the guiding for deep creek? Unless they have classified days you're getting hosed and will be on the Skeena 3 with all the others

·
Registered
99 Posts
Deep Creek does the lodging for more than one guiding outfit in town that have classified days. That said, no guarantees unless you check it out. I would also be demanding and request the rivers they plan on fishing at that time. It would be good to have options including the classified rivers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts