Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit misplaced, perhaps. But again I need some information.
Having to choose between a single handed 10', 4 pieces, #8 Sage rod (for reservoir /single handed salmon, hopefully steelhead), what would you choose, the SLT or the XP?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sage

I would definitely go with XP. When you start talking about rods over a 6wt for larger fish you dont want a slow to medium action rod like the SLT. This is more of a pure trout rod for small to medium rivers. Another option if you like the sage rods would be the XI2. This rod works great for bass, pike, saltwater, salmon steelhead, etc... Great casting rod and it seems to be a touch faster than the XP. But you really cant go wrong with either. Give them both a try and see which one you prefer.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
I am not in total agreement with Chrome Fever. He is absolutely correct in that the a slow to medium rod is out of place in steelhead fishing, but the SLT's are not slow to medium rods. They are extremely crisp and smooth med fast action rods with SUBSTANTIAL reserves of power in their butts for throwing long and reefing on fish. The larger 6-8 wts have quite a bit of muscle and are very pleasant rods to cast.
But as Chromer said, the XP's are great rods too. If you prefer a very fast, light, and powerful rod they are about as good as it gets.

Solution:confused:

By all means cast a few in each series and buy the one you feel most comfortable with. Don't buy something sight unseen, though in my book you won't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My problem lies exactly in the fact that I cannot compare them. It will have to be sight unseen, or I will miss a rare opportunity. Is the SLT that much slower? I am not fond of very fast actions.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
I see your bind.
Let me ask you this, what singlehanded rods do you own and like? That might help to see which would be most comparable.

The SLT is slower than the XP, how much is tough to describe. They really are both excellent rods. If you can get a deal on one, I don't think you would go wrong either way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much. Here goes:

Redington Wayfarer 7'6" 4P #4-pleasant

Orvis Trident TLS Mid Flex 6,5 8' 6" #5-pleasant

Daiwa Whisker Fly 8' 6" #5-too soft

Loomis GLX 9' 4P #6-very pleasant

Orvis Trident TLS Mid Flex 7,0 9' #8-a bit on the stiff side

Daiwa Osprey-S 10' #7-9-pleasant

And that's it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Owning two xp's and having fished the other...

(my .02 only) the XP is a moving water/heavy 'bug' rod, almost a tad over kill for still water fishing? Just the opposite could be true for the other blank designation.
fae

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Fred, IMHO any 10' 8wt is a tad bit overkill for still water, unless the fish involved are 5lbs and up. I wish I knew more of those places!

If you like the GLX 6 wt, I think you might really like the XP. They have a similar, super light, crisp feel. But it is tough to say. The TLS 5 wt is similar in action to the SLT, but comparing a 8'6'' 5 to a 10' 8 isn't really valid.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Winston Boron IIx

No affliation, I just happen to think the new Winston Boron IIx series is one of the finest line of rods we have seen in a while. The action reminds me of a GLX (which I like), but a little 'cleaner' feeling. Their finish is impeccable (which was one complaint with the GLXs). Very lightweight, can handle short casts very well, have a sensitive tip and can really bomb the line when you load the blank deeply.

I very much like them and would encourage you to try one before plunking down the money on an XP.

Thanks and good luck,

JGS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts