Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any toughts on best reel for 6126. i know this has been covered in many threads, but ideally, i'd like to use one of my existing reels and not buy a new one - i'm thinking about one of my tibors - perhaps riptide - but for some reason seems a little big? what about the everglades? seems a little small. Also have an abel super 11? could potentially get new spools for any or them too. any recos would be good - probably planning on a midspey 6/7

thanks

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The Riptide is right your application, definitely not too large. The reel on a spey rod must balance the outfit at he upper area of the upper grip. See Simon Gawesworth's book, Spey Casting, for details of selecting a reel to balance your rod. The common error is to select a too small [too light] reel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very fond of my Bauer M4 on the 6126. It may not be "spey" enough for some but the size seems right to me and capacity is fine for what I throw.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Able #3

works well for the Sage 7136, so something comparable would work well for the 6126.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have a Loop 3W with a spare spool for my Sage 6126. One spool has a Skagit 450 on it, and the other spool has a MS 7/8 with tips with about 200 yards of backing on each spool.

The balance is excellent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Loop (Danielsson) 8-12 as well as a 3W. The 8-12 is light, holds more than enough backing, and just looks really nice on the rod you mention. I have the exact rod, myself!

-Chris

·
Banned
974 Posts
The Riptide is a very nice reel. If you opt to purchase a reel specifically for this rod, I also have a Danielsson 8-12 on a rod that the same line, the CND 13'4" Solstice. I think that balances nicely and looks great. I have a spool that has the Midspey 6/7 on it and it has 200 yds of 20# backing on it and it can hold more.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts