Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I spent the evening teaching beginners to spey cast, as far as my abilities allow, and as usually predicted the ladies did better than the men. I am going fishing tomorrow with one of these TFO speys- think I'll line up the 13' 6/7.

Casting generally is progressing well. This is my cast from 50 yds to the pole in the picture. I did this about three times in a row then began to get tired. (Sorta peaked for the day here).

Here's what I'm looking for: something like a 75-90 foot head with something like 550-600 grains for overhead and switch casting on a 15' #10. I'd like it to sink pretty quick. What's out there and, particularly, what can survive 20 degree temperatures? (I froze a Rio Intermediate shooting line last year fishing hot water with air temps in the teens).

Thanks a lot!
Zach

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
wow bro, 50 yards is quite the "feet". ha ha ha :chuckle:

as for lines, you can try midspey from RIO, either 7/8 or 8/9 will meet your weight requirement. How it acts on the #10 TFO is another question. I have not cast the TFO rods so I can not tell you one way or the other the weight in grains for that rod to cast effectively.

If you can get your hands on a Carron 9/10 that will be sweet, I would imagine. Alsotry the Snowbee 3d lines, comparable the Carron, just cheaper price wise. I believe that they are around 70 feet or so. good luck.

vinnie

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Is that 50' or 50 yds. If it is 50 yds. that is quite an accomplishment.
I think you will have a tough time finding a line with that head length that sinks
quick in your grain window. The lightest Snowbee 3d(73' head) weighs in at
617 grns. and that is a floater What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
If your rod is 10 wt or even if it is a true 9 I think it would be severely underlined for any speycasting.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was 50 yds - 150'. I measured it with a tape measure and tacked out stakes. I never broke 150' in a straight line (some of my wider shots went over, measured me-to-fly but that wouldn't do very much good if a fish was at the stake point), the closest I came was 6" a couple casts after this one.

I am aerializing about 70'-80' of line to reach this distance. 150' is about 25' more than I can expect to average with a one hander, so there is a distance advantage. The truth is I am trying to fight my mobility limitations with casting skill for chasing stripers on open reservoirs. I have a one man pontoon boat but A) my distance will necessarily drop a lot from a seated position and B) the pontoon is man-powered only. My thinking is to be able to get into a rapid fire 100-120' range for when the stripers start busting shad and chasing on top. Plus the extra 6' of rod helps make up for some of the angle/applied pressure loss when I am seated halfway in the water. I also just like to cast and want to see how far I can throw a line. I have received a couple emails today too and I want to thank you guys for your help.

Zach

·
Registered
194 Posts
Are you overhand casting 150'?

And 100-120' feet from a sitting position? Kudos to you but heck I suddenly feel terribly inadequate.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Length for Pontoon boat

Zach - I have one of Bob Meiser's 11'7" for 5/6/7 that I use for trout fishing from a float tube/pontoon boat. I can't imagine using something much longer and being able to control the fish at the landing. So, if you wnat to land them, you might want to shorten up the length of rod you are going to use. Some options might be one of Meiser's switch rods, or one of the shorter two handed rods, Atlantis etc.

Depending on the size of the fish, if it is small schoolies (12-15#), the Meiser 11'7" might work well with a long belly single hand line. 100' from a float tube overhead is pretty easy. In any case, give Bob a call and ask his opinion about options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts