Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to match a Hardy Marquis reel with a Beulah Onyx 6 wt 13'1" and a Beluah Aero Head 450 gr.

Which size Hardy Marquis should I get for this combination?

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Possibly St Aidan or Salmon 1. The latter would mostly likely balance you spey rod better. Of course the former is not a marquis. I know the salmon 2 is still a bit o overkill on my 7 and 8 wt speys, but NOT over weight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My Marquis Salmon 1 balances my 7110-4 perfectly.

I haven't put it on my 7136, so I don't know where it stands on a larger rod.

Maybe go with the Marquis 1 and add a few ounces of lead core or copper line before you put on backing?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Great little rod I fish the able switch on mine it balances out well I think the salmon 1 would be the reel for you .

·
Registered
297 Posts
Salmon 2

The Salmon 1 might be fine, but I fish similar size rods with my Salmon 2. I think you will appreciate it with the longer head of the Aero. I use it on my 6.5 Dec Hogan and it keeps the tip up about right.

Not sure of weight, but I used a 2 on my Beulah Platinum 7 weight and that was a very light rod. I keep the #1 for my switch or trout Speys.

DH

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
1 would work but I feel the 2 balance out my 13'3 6wt. perfectly. Really comes down to personal preference and feel, plus I can swap it out on my 7 need be.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Salmon 2. Larger diameter will mean quicker pick up as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Oddly I thought my salmon 2 would be to big for my ACR 13'8 6wt but it balances it nicely I would try that over the salmon 1.
I did try cast my ACR with an Orvis Mach IV and just didn't feel right, to light at the bottom. But the Mach IV did do well on my Scott 1206.
I was also casting a CND 5/6 at the time the extra weight down on the bottom made it cast allot easier.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
The Marquis Series seem to overlap a lot

The reels are all lightweight enough that it doesn't seem to matter all that much. I use a 2 on my 7132 Platinum, but the 3 doesn't feel too bad on it either. I don't currently have a 1 (my mistake), but when I did the 1 and 2 were almost interchangeable. I use a St Aiden on a 11'9" 6 wt and a 1 would work as well.

I wouldn't put a 3 on the Onyx, but I could flip a coin and be happy with either the 1 or 2.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
I use the marquis 2 on 7136 and it balances wonderfully, also like it on my 8110. I think the 2 would be great for your onyx, 13'+ is a lot of graphite and needs quite a bit of weight to truly be balanced. I use the marquis 1 on my 5126 and it balances good too, but marquis 1 on a rod any bigger would be pretty darn light. Lead core, sure it would work, but with that said why not just get 2?

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Obviously what's needed here is a Scientific Anglers System 11 ..splits the difference in a Salmon 1 and 2 cleanly down the middle ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts