Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While having a discussion about guides best for casting and line's durability, I've looked through Search on these Pages(it seems to me-I always find the answer!).
And I found- Meiser's thoughts based on great experience...

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=16301&page=2&highlight=ceramic/wire+guides

It seems the problem has been solved but the time of that thread-06-09-2004 made suspicious- if things have been changed by the time?
Some new ceramic rings with featheweight frames or casting skill with new lines' plastics demands some other approach instead of tradition?

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Guides

Dec Hogan or Trey Combs would be good. :D

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I use snakes for all the reasons Meiz mentioned. I do however favor thin wire snakes to reduce weight when possible, especially near the top. They remain more durable than single foot guides in withstanding routine abuse - through the woods, in the boat, and on the water.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Size Matters

Most American companie use guides which are way too small(IMHO). If shooting line is something you want to do then make the guides larger. Especially the bottom 2/3. Look at a good Scandinavian rod where shooting is commonplace and see how big the snakes are.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Like Meiser, I use double foot snake guides and ceramic (SIC) casting guides for strippers. And like Jack, I use larger snake guides than most manufacturers simply because they allow you the shoot the heavier belly of a line and allow mutli-tip line loops to flow through them easier.

This is what I mean by larger snake guides: I have an 18' 11/12 fast, stiff rod that I cut the original single foot snakes off (which went down to #2's) and then put only #6 and #5 snake guides on it, which changed the way the rod shoots line and cast, improving both greatly. And on a 16' 8/9, I used #6, 5, and 4 double foot snakes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with the use of larger snake guides for shooting line. Personally I prefer the larger recoil snakes compared to other manufacturers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rod Guides

This is a very good topic, and I would really appreciate rod builders chipping in.
A while back I built a single hander and studied Dale Clemens' book. As many of you know he is seen as a guru of the rod builders fraternity. He recommends using single foot ceramic (SIC) guides all along the rod claiming that these guides offer the best shootability and that they also have the least impact on the bending quality of the rod. However, this has never really caught on with the commercial manufacturers. I remember that Lefty Kreh often speaks of using oversized or large size shooting guides but speaks against ceramic guides. All of this really was said about single handers.

I wonder whether anyone has some more solid data on the shooting qualities, affect on weight and rod action of the differrent types of guides.

Tom.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rod guides - follow-up

I was a bit too quick writing my earlier post. I just read the thread mentioned in the 1st. post, and Bob Meiser has really given the full answer. Thank you!
Tom.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you look at other fishing rods, remember fly rods are fishing rods, if you find one with snake guides on it, then tell us please.
No rod builder in his right mind would fit snake giudes to a little baitcaster, or a 15 foot beach rod. Maybe its time to get realistic about runners. I have a Talon Graphite DH 15 footer with PacBay bridge guides fitted, its great stuff. I also have two TFO 12x12's. One has single foot guides and the other the original snakes. Guess which one suites me best. Got it in one, the single foots.
I also have a 9 foot DH rod, its a converted Shimano spin rod, with bridge and single foot guides. Its marvellous.Since its about 17# and is impossible, for me, to cast one handed. It cost $130 Oz. Not bad for a unbreakable hunk of a fly rod.
Personally I think snakes have reached their use by date. We have the brains and technology to make better fly rod giudes. Why not do it. MaxG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts