Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right hand on top = right foot forward? Or is it the opposite? I found some conflicting information and have managed to get myself confused.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The real issue

is not to fall. Beyont that, there appear to be two camps. The Scotts seem to like the same foot forward as the upper hand, and a big body rock. Most in the PNW seem to like the opposite foot forward from the upper hand.

In any case, while fishing it is solid footing first, then both work.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Best foot forward

When I first took up the two hander all the instructors would say right hand up left foot forward and vice versa for left hand up. One of the things I did notice while watching them in person and on video was that they were not very consistent practising what they preached.

One thing I noticed while casting a single hand rod was that when practising long distance casts opposite foot forward led to over rotating the body therefore the cast travelled in a curved path resulting in loss of distance. The same foot forward as the casting hand prevents the body from over rotating therefore cast stays straight and results in more distance. The same thing applied to the two hander keeps my rod tip tracking straight resulting in better efficiency and longer casts.

After watching the Scottish guys cast I was amazed at the efficiency of their casts and distances they were able to achieve with what seems like minimal effort.

Right hand up right foot forward works for me, now I just have to figure out how they do the rest of it.

Ian

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I agree with Ted - if you are casting for casting sake there are two camps - I would say the majority favor opposite foot forward so you can get more body lean into the cast but the guys casting the longest distances seem to favor same foot forward - giving better tracking. But if you are casting so you can fish you should be able to cast with either foot forward or both feet together because at least where I fish where my feet end up changes from step down to step down at times

1 - 4 of 4 Posts