Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase an Echo TR in either a 7 weight or 8 weight. The rod will be used primarily for winter fishing on the Sandy and Clackamas. I've had one person suggest the 7 because, in his opinion, the 8 was overkill for those two rivers. I've had another suggest the 8 is the better option. Would appreciate any comments.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Don't know those rivers much, but I think a 7 can handle most winter steel, tips and lead eye flies. Fish a 7 on the Skenna and tribs with know problem up to 20lbs. This was on a ACR which is a true 7 wt. too. Rod grain windows are vary wide now a days and action vary, but the TR is a pretty powerful and strong stick so you can put the hurt on that rod if you tangle with a bruiser. I'd go with the 7. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
371 Posts
I fished an Echo Dec Hogan 7130 13' 7wt on the Sandy/Clack rivers for 3 years without issue. The 7wt will be lighter and throw lighter lines, less taxiing on you.

·
Registered
498 Posts
While either rod will work well on the Sandy and the rest of Oregon's rivers.

The 13' 7 would be my first choice.

Skilly

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,061 Posts
Only fished the Sandy once, but...

I agree about going up a rod size. While the 7 would be my first choice, if I only had one rod, I'd pick and 8. There are parts of the river where you won't be sorry and you can do all the same stuff as with a 7.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I don't think that you will really be able to cast any further with an 8 than with a 7. You can certainly throw heavier tips and flies with the 8 if that is what you typically plan to do and if so maybe you go with the 8. But I own two 7s and have never had an issue throwing stuff as heavy as I would ever want to go and that includes 15' of T14. would an 8 do it easier - maybe but most of the time I can get by with MOWs in the 7.5 range or at most say 10' of T14 and this is no issue at all with a 7

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up going with the 7 wt. Spent a few hours on the Sandy a couple days ago. No luck on it's inagural day but was really happy with the rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts