Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing a sage 15' 9wt for steelhead in BC and I use the rod in Alaska, I throw primarily sink tips, usually heavy one's. The more I use this rod the heavier its seems to me(weighs just over 10 oz's), and long days on the river take a toll on my shoulder. This rod is the slower action sage but even the faster action one weighs about the same. So anyway I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on other possible rods. Winston's web site says their 8/9wt weighs 7 3/4 oz??? How is that possible? Loomis rods are usually fast and light but for some reason they don't list the weights on their web site? Any suggestions???

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
What reel are you using? If the rod is feeling heavy it is possible to just throw a heavier reel or even wrap the arbor with lead on your exisiting rod to balance it out.

Also how do you hold the rod on the swing? With lighter reels you may need to move up to holding it on the blank itself for proper balancing.

-sean

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi
Hopefully not opening a can of worms:) but- I find with my 15 ' 10/11 that at times i,m pushing the top hand/extending the right arm looking for more power and that leads, for me, to sore shoulder and/or upper arm. Usually it,s because i,m not working my lower/left hand enough and if I relax and pay more attention to the bottom hand mechanics ,things smooth out again. I,m new to spey ,but this helps me when i,m feeling tired and things are getting sloppy and feeling heavy.

Will

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Good point as well Will. I had that problem too and it got so bad I switched to an underhand stroke and voila , no more shoudler pain.

As far as rods and light swing weight I would add the Scott LS2 to your list to check out and they are made in your home state. They feel very light in hand.

-sean

·
Registered
210 Posts
9 weight

Sounds like you might benefit from a Skagit-type outfit. Great for throwing tips and heavy flies, but with a lighter, shorter, more flexible rod. A Skagit-style rod designated as 8/9 will probably feel more like a conventional 6/7 rod and it will probably be 1 1/2-2' shorter. The shorter, slower rods seem to take a less forceful cast and are easier to hold up all day as well. You probably can't boom out as long a cast as with a faster, longer rod, but the ease of casting and fishing may be worth the tradeoff. What doesn't change is that you can still use the same heavy, dense tips and depth-bomb flies, as long as you use a short, heavy Skagit-type line to propel the tips.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
My 2 cents, try a good light rod with a fast tip and utilize the underhand technique. The Burkheimer 14'5" 9 weight and a reel that weighs at least 8 to 9 ounces for balance (put the weight between your hands) would be my choice. I believe that Burkie is 7 3/4 ounces. The Winstons are nice but I found the tip to be a bit too soft for my liking.

I'd bet if you changed technique and got a heavier reel most of your problems could be overcome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

Thanks, keep the info coming.
I have a canyon 7, with 2 spools, one has a Rio Mid Spey and the other has a Rio 550 Skagit with 5ft cheater and 15ft of T14. I was mostly using the Skagit and T14 on my last trip and throwing big heavy articulated flesh patterns, and it was more the lifting of the line to get it back up to me that bothered my shoulder more than anything. Snap t and snake rolls helped a bit but still draining by the end of the day. Oh and I have had shoulder problems in the past so I am sure that's not helping me much. Maybe I just need to hit the gym more!

I'll work on the technique as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts