Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some feedback on the following:

Where would you fish if you could fish anywhere?

Time frame: Mid to late June 05 (7ish days)
Budget: multiple thousands
Comfort level: relatively high; the rather old man is coming. must be guided.
travel time: unlimited

prefer spey for anadromous fish, but am open to anything.

I'm planning a special trip and don't want to miss out on any options I haven't thought of.
much appreciated. :eek:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I think I would go chase atlantics in a classic venue, either across the puddle in the motherland or in the canadian maritimes because of the time of year.

Stripers on Cape Cod would be in it's prime if you're looking for plenty of action, but the spey fishing in June is dream-like on the Gaspe', and tipping a flask with Malcom on the Spey and/or Dee would be a treat not soon forgotten either.

Hard to beat spey fishing Scotland or Norway or the Ponoi for atlantics in June!

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Has to be Salmon!

Scottish Spring Salmon:
Deeside in March
Speyside in May

Chasing a Norwegian 30lber:
Gaula in June
(Alta would be fisrt choice, but let's be realistic!)

Some fun with Grilse:
Ness-side in August
(If you could afford it, you'd probably choose Iceland in this catagory)

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Atlantics!!!

Jumbo,

Get in touch with Glen LeGrand at Camp Bonaventure 418-534-3678. You could also try David Bishop at Gaspe Salmon Destinations 418-392-6768.

These guys will know if there is any water available in their areas for that time, and unless the spring is unusually dry, you will have plenty of use for the two-hander.

Good luck,

Chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
Budget: multiple thousands

travel time: unlimited

don't want to miss out on any options I haven't thought of.

Sugggestion: With multiple thousands to spend why not make it months instead of weeks. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
You might think about one of the various trips to Russia - one of the last truly remote locations - I believe there is opportunity for large rainbows, steelhead and salmon depending on where and when you go

·
Registered
150 Posts
Scotland!

start with a week on the Helmasdale in mid April followed by a week on the middle/lower Spey.

Will cost you though!

Good luck!! :wink:

·
Registered
215 Posts
fishingd0 said:
start with a week on the Helmasdale in mid April followed by a week on the middle/lower Spey.
Any tips on (legal) methods of getting a prime tenancy like that? Isn't it a case of dead men's shoes & lots of others in the queue before you?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Marriage, which is appently too short. Perhaps someone here saw through my plot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Helmsdale fishing

Gardener said:
Any tips on (legal) methods of getting a prime tenancy like that? Isn't it a case of dead men's shoes & lots of others in the queue before you?
Yea know what you mean! There is a chance of getting some good weeks in spring (mainly up to March).

Was in dream land when when thinking of where I would spend multiple thousands on fishing. Suppose there are just some things money can't buy. :(

It's neighbouring river, the Brora (lower) has similar quality fishing in spring. There is often some quality weeks to be had if you book enough in advance! :wink:

Gordon

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd go to the Ponoi River in Russia for Atlantic Salmon. Even in the low season I caught 35 salmon, in a week in late July, imagine peak season in June!

It won't be cheap, just under $10,000 for mid June, but you will have the best food, deluxe tents, showers, banya, great guides and great fishing. The Ponoi is also pristine and beautiful, it was a magical experience for me. Salmon generally range from 5-20 lbs, there are some big ones there. There are also some really strong sea run browns and they really fight. The river is perfect for spey casting.

Enjoy wherever you decide to go!

Donna

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tongariro River, North Island , NZ.
The time of your trip coincides perfectly with the spawning run of rainbows from Lake Taupo. Several Fish of 4-5lbs per day for the dedicated angler. Amazing scenery, great lodges. Please get in touch.
Neil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.