Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my parents have decided that they want to take my kids for a week plus after the 4th of July and the wife said she wanted to give chasing fish on the spey rods another try. so we are going to take advantage of that time and drive north from the Bay Area and try to swing up a summer run fish. I was just looking for some recommendations of rivers that may be holding some come mid July we are willing to pretty much drive anywhere up the west coast
thanks
Gunnar

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
In mid-July the only WA rivers that may have fishable numbers of summer steelhead are the Skykomish and the Cowlitz, hatchery origin fish in both cases. You would likely have a better chance in OR. Ask around about Willamette tributaries like the Santiam, or further south, the Umpqua and Rogue Rivers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Have you watched REI's A Steelhead Quest? Your plans remind me a little of the focus of that film.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't know what the run timings would be like for your date range, but the North Umpqua is a stunning river and quite easy to access from the road. Not sure what your plans are in terms of a place to stay - that's the one downside to the NU perhaps.

I did a trip last year to the Rogue, North Umpqua and Klamath staying in Shady Cove at the Edgewater Inn. Right on the upper Rogue and not too long a drive from the top of the NU. Might be too far upriver for July, but I'm sure others will steer you right.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The NU or Rogue would be my vote as well. The NU run has already started and may not be as productive as the Rogue by mid-July. Bank access is superior on the NU in the fly water as HWY 138 runs parallel to the river through the majority of the fly water. I will say over the last two years the river has been more and more crowded, increased pressure have made things a bit more technical but there's still a good chance for a hookup until August when the river really heats up.

The Rogue seems to hold decent numbers of fish throughout most of the year. When the NU is slow I venture down to the Rogue valley. In general I have more success for steelhead on the Rogue than the NU. Floating from the hatchery below Lost Creek Reservoir down to Shady Cove can be extremely productive. There are also several spots to get bank access around Touvelle park that can be quite good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Rogue seems to hold decent numbers of fish throughout most of the year. When the NU is slow I venture down to the Rogue valley. In general I have more success for steelhead on the Rogue than the NU. Floating from the hatchery below Lost Creek Reservoir down to Shady Cove can be extremely productive. There are also several spots to get bank access around Touvelle park that can be quite good.
^^ +1 on the Rogue, Shady Cove area. Beautiful river to float, even if you get skunked, but it does hold summer runs. Hit the water very early and late, take a siesta during the midday sun.

·
Registered
103 Posts
T I will say over the last two years the river has been more and more crowded, increased pressure have made things a bit more technical.

yeah think that replies like this have made pressure increase??

WTF

Everyone lets have a protest fish on the NU this weekend since it appears to have a strong run started already

1 - 10 of 10 Posts